Author Topic: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)  (Read 37218 times)

Offline half eye

Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« on: March 09, 2016, 08:31:09 pm »
Hey fellas,
     Recently got my bow trade bows finished up so I decided to start working on some bows to repay the graciousness of some very good friends.
     Just wanted to share the whole deal with all of you. So here is what we got as of today. I'm roughing out 4 bows as follows
Scalloped Seneca type for Don Burchett....52", osage, 26" draw, 65# min., sinew backed, skinned with a nice Eastern diamondback w/ rattles and carved sides and tips (Waxed linen string)

Osage Penobscott type for Jon W,  52", osage, 26" draw and 70# minimum, sinew backed both bows, carved fineals, backbow skinned with a very nice black snake and the main bow backed with timber rattler (waxed linen thread)

A 55#Osage  Penobscott sinew backed with the same skin combination as Jon's bow (for me)

Ironwood Penobscott same size about 60/65# sinew backed, skinned with timber rattler as a possible gift to another friend depending on how I like it.

Here are some starter pictures of the rough out sticks, skins, and sinew/hide glue I'll be using. Figured ya might like to come along for the ride....but cant say how often I will update.
rich

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Re: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 08:58:56 pm »
Man rich those are nice and some very nice quality skins.

Offline Drewster

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 09:16:31 pm »
That's awesome Rich.  Those are some fine looking skins.  I'm sure you'll do them justice.  Look forward to seeing the finished products.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 09:20:38 pm »
Thank you Drewster...we will see.....figure I dont have a whole bunch left in me so I'm gonna make some real eye candy to be remembered by 8)

Gutshot, that one timber rattler should look real familiar to ya sir (thank you) If I get the other one (s) in you probably gonna get that ugly son of gun back, course it may be glued to a stick >:D
rich
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:29:43 pm by half eye »

Offline DuBois

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 09:25:30 pm »
I'm on board for this ride.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 07:57:48 am »
Rich,
         This is off the chain man!!! That is going to be a saaweeeet bunch of bows and some very happy guy's...That Seneca already has me drooling... :o :o :o I have coveted one of your scalloped bows for a long time! Thank you and hope to see a build along on these...
                                                                                                                               Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 09:57:13 am »
I shall follow this thread with bated breath. :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 10:22:48 am »
Man Rich, those are going to be some beautiful bows! The cool thing about it for me is, the one you're making johnW I'll probably get to see in person one day! Can't wait to see you at work here bud!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 10:25:05 am »
Oh, so now you fancy, huh?

jk.  They will be thrilled.

JacksonCash

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 10:54:48 am »
These look exciting! I'll be happy to see more.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 10:56:22 am »
Cool, a lot of potential in those pictures

Offline half eye

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 08:01:15 pm »
Well here is a sort of update....I had roughed out the general shape of Don and Jon's bows....but only to the point where I could make necessary lateral adjustments...then go back and trim the thickness closer to floor tiller to prepare for the tillering for shape.

Dons bow needed very little lateral movement (about 1/2 inch at a runout.....it also had general small amount of reflex with a "woopty- doo" mid limb that I took out temporarily until the thickness was finalized....then the overall reflex will be evened out....As I work down the bows thickness I make angled cuts from side to belly which leaves a peaked ridge down the middle of the belly and repeat this as necessary until I'm floor tillered about 10# heavy. and then mill-bastard to a low crown preparatory to tillering. At the point of starting the second round of belly cuts my thrust bearings decided to cease-up  so it will be thursday till the replacements arrive.
   Pictures of the described work....Dons bow is the scalloped Seneca

Jons bow (the heavy Penobscott) needed quite a bit of lateral movement. I want to leave as much snale as possible (to accent the skins) but these bows need to be absolutely aligned so the bending arc's of both bows are in line, otherwise the short bow will twist and warp the main bow's thin tips. I have both these bows aligned so that tips and centers are in alignment both to themselves but to each other as well.....I did not get to recut the belly lines on any of the bows so they are on hold for parts arrival......pictures of that bow attached.

The pics of Dons bow first and Jon's second.....since I'm not sinew lining my penobscott I'll work on that one for a week till the saw is back up and running. I want to have Don and Jons bows allmost completely tillered prior to sinew application.

Anyways here are the pics.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 08:03:00 pm »
Dons next pics

Offline half eye

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 08:06:34 pm »
Jons sticks

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 09:04:00 pm »
Those are some sweet sticks! I'm inspired by your scalloped bows. I think I know what I'm going to try next. Well maybe a Penobscott. Oh crap now I'm not sure.  :laugh:

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!