Author Topic: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)  (Read 37041 times)

Offline half eye

Re: Bows with all the bells and whistles (gifts for my friends)
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2016, 05:56:16 pm »
next set

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2016, 06:08:32 pm »
  Holy crap man, That's bell and whistles!!! Never seen that before :o :o :o
                                                                                                                                    Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2016, 08:01:42 pm »
  Holy crap man, That's bell and whistles!!! Never seen that before :o :o :o
                                                                                                                                    Don

+1   
I dont remember ever seeing belly scallops begore.
Steve Bennett

Offline half eye

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2016, 08:11:15 pm »
Don, Turtle....not my doings fellas.....The Onieda had these on the belly's of some of their bows and the Mohawk hand the same type pattern but on the back of the bows. They was usually on their shorter sized bows and the longer versions were plain.
    But glad you like 'em, and hopefully they will accentkins and not detract from 'em.
rich

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2016, 09:55:24 pm »
Those belly scallops look good as does the side profile on that bow Rich.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2016, 11:48:38 pm »
Those belly scallops look good as does the side profile on that bow Rich.

+1, WOW!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline half eye

« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2016, 02:26:55 pm »
Hey fellas,
     Here is some pic's of the knocks I'm using on the backbow....and how the string lays in it. Sorry forgot to put those up yesterday. The main bow has simple pin knocks, because the bow has to be strung and unstrung totally @ time so I want the smallest & shortest knock available.
rich

Offline Emmet

« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »
Rich,You do some amazing work.
Do the  scallops have a purpose other then looks.

Offline half eye

« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2016, 03:23:06 pm »
Emmet,
     I dont believe there is a definitive answer here is why. In every case where certain tribes and or bands had scalloped bows, they also had plain sided (rectangular section). In nearly every instance the plain outnumber the scalloped by quite a margin.
    As far as I know, the shape and decoration of a bow was strictly up to the caprice of the carrier (owner). Having said that the bows that are scalloped were done in certain patterns affiliated with the particular tribe or band,i.e. An Odawa bow looked different from a Ojibwa which was different from a Pottawatomie......even though they were related brothers.....then all of theirs were different from the Oneida and different from the Mohawk, even those were brothers....so my inclination is that the scalloped bows were decorative, and also signposts while at the same time being fully functional bows.
    I have used scallops to help tiller out a few bows but do not believe that is the main purpose, rather a matter of "look at me, I'm special" for whatever reason.
rich

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2016, 04:12:52 pm »
Rich,
         I like that tiny grove you incorporated to center the string coming off the nock...How are you liking the linen so far? It has zero stretch, kind of a natures fast flight material...Also very light
                                                                                                                                     Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline half eye

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2016, 04:31:13 pm »
Don,
    That linen is super string material in my opinion. Like ya said ya got the advantages of man made fast flight (no stretch, light weight etc.) but in a natural product....I like it very much.
rich

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2016, 10:46:38 pm »
Rich, Osage is good at splitting as we all know. Do you have any reservations about the notch in the center of the back bow? Could you put some kind of overlay on it?

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JonW

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2016, 10:52:11 pm »
Pat I'm not gonna speak for Rich but I don't think there is a problem with the small notch. Just an allignment aide. Rich will clarify for sure.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2016, 11:14:27 pm »
That's cool, it was just a thought I had. I figure if he was concerned then he would have overlayed it. But I'm still curious.

Patrick

Offline half eye

« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2016, 09:49:51 am »
Hey fellas,
       Patrick, I dont believe there is any issue at all sir. The loop end of the string will be acting as a transverse wrap (anti splitting) and the knot will be either a hangmans noose or a triple wrap timber hitch (elongated knot) so even with severe pressure I dont believe splitting will be an issue at all. In addition these bows have 4 string knocks so even a 100# bow will only generate approximately 25# of force on @ one......so with my 50/60 pound bow it's only going to be around 13/15 pounds of force.
     I made this type on my ironwood bows in the other thread w/o issues (I know it aint the same wood) so I have all the confidence in the world of sucess 8) 8)

Jon, when it comes to Osage working properties you can speak for me anytime sir 8) I like Osage but by no means am I versed in the subtleties of the wood at all,
rich