Author Topic: Simple DIY router jig for lumber shafts **Version 2.0 pics added**  (Read 14142 times)

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Simple DIY router jig for lumber shafts **Version 2.0 pics added**
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2016, 09:57:36 pm »
I've been using a router setup for many years. I suggest a couple of simplifications and changes. For those who just want to try it, you can run the squares through oak blocks with the progression of holes in them.; Much faster to make up a trial run.

Next, turn the whole shebang so that the shafts are parallel to your bench. Then, you can run the shaft in as far as practical with your drill, stop to remove the adapter from the chuck, and put the drill on the finished end of the shaft and pull it on through. I have been doing that for years. That way you don't have to cut a 36" stick to get 30 inches usable.

And, I can't see any reason to cut a slot for the router. All you need is a hole for the bit to stick up through.

I made steel bushings in various sizes to fit in an aluminum block so I can change to a different shaft size easily. I also mounted a dial indicator so I can move the block the exact amount needed to switch from one size to another. (I don't move the router, just the blocks.

My steel blocks burnish the milled shaft so that no sanding is needed, unless to make a finish stick better or a stain penetrate.

Here's a picture. (My setup mounts to my bench with one bolt and wingnut--changed the mount after these photos.)

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 10:47:20 pm »
Alternative approaches are good thing! Thanks for taking time to post.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2016, 10:52:53 pm by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline make-n-break

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 11:17:58 pm »
Nice setup asharrow! I'd say the biggest difference (other than cosmetics) between our designs is that your router is fixed and your jig is adjustable. In my case the jig is fixed and the router adjustable. That's the reason for the slot; so the router can be rotated to get the proper cutting diameter since the jig is fixed to the table. Beadman recently posted another nice router design that was fixed router, adjustable jig.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2016, 12:50:13 am »
That and the orientation that allows pulling the nearly finished shaft on through.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2016, 12:36:53 am »
Ok,  my little hole drilled into a piece of flat bar steel is going into the trash. I think I have everything I need laying around the house for one of these. I'll see what I can come up with in the next couple of days. Thanks for posting Break!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2016, 09:29:27 am »
Don't trash what ya got until ya got what you're gonna get!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2016, 09:49:18 am »
Don't trash what ya got until ya got what you're gonna get!

Unless that's the only way to find the motivation haha. I will stick with my little steel bar until a router finds itself in my work space, not that I adhere to the if it ain't broke don't fix it philosophy