Author Topic: Whats your faviorite bow finish?  (Read 38904 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Whats your faviorite bow finish?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2008, 03:05:09 pm »
Uwe, I believe fat is the solid white stuff and grease has been rendered from that. Two fifferent forms of the same stuff.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Rich Saffold

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2008, 03:34:42 pm »
I like mineral oil rubbed in after a burnishing..Your bow is waterproof, and I have thrown some bows into the pool for testing with good results.. It's clean, and you can rub it dry, plus you can drink it if you are constipated so its very safe as well.

For a major shine,plastic or fiberglass look I will coat over the mineral oil with glossy water based poyurethane using a sponge brush. Very thin coats with a light sanding of 1500 between the first few.  If the bow goes hunting after the photo shoot then 0000 steel wool and a good floor wax  coats it.

I also use Paraffin on occasion as well.

Rich

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2008, 04:42:59 pm »
Anyone tried mink oil?
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

nailbender

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2008, 05:17:54 pm »
  I used mink oil (made by Kiwi, in the shoe polish type can) on my hunting bow last year. Got caught in th rain once, the water beaded up an ran off. For those of you that don't know, Mink Oil is a leather waterproofer and conditioner. It is made from a combination of mink oil, silicone and lanolin, and it seems to work well as a finish for bows as well as leather. Just apply it as you would any other type of grease or fat.

Dale.

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2008, 05:34:03 pm »
Cool i keep a couple cans of that stuff around for my boots anyway. I havent had much luck with that kiwi stuff i like the justin oil for my boots.
"Those who would sacrifice their freedom for safety will find that they will inherit neither." -Ben Franklin     

--Carpenter

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2008, 05:49:33 pm »
I use whatever is handy at the time.   ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2008, 10:59:02 pm »
 I Use Tung oil or Danish oil followed with a good coat of wax. Either paste wax or beeswax. I guess parafin would work
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline Jesse

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2008, 11:19:11 pm »
5 coats of satin water based exterior poly one coat every 3 hours, light sanding before the last coat. I have had bad results with tru oil. It seems to come of if you scratch it. I like to be able to bang it against stuff. The only problem with water based is grain raise but it dries very fast  has low odor and is tough.   Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2008, 12:17:47 am »
Epoxy acetone (Massey finish) if I have a week or so to put it on. Tru-Oil most of the time, misted with flat spar urathane if I want a flat finish.

Offline david w.

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2008, 12:22:05 am »
i have only tried deft and thats great if you want your bow now but it cracks under the compression of the bow and looks like chrysals so on my next bow i am using an oil finish
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

PK

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2008, 03:13:17 am »
I like shelac then 3 coats of Spar.

Offline Centerless

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2008, 11:32:01 am »
I've had the tru-oil crack as well and it makes me nervous.  I've been using Teak Oil, 3 applications and then Minwax wood wax.  Easy, quick, no gloss problems and simple to add more wax.

snakebow

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2008, 11:56:33 am »
I hand rub on 3 or 4 coats of satin dainish oil finish and finish with a coat of furniture paste wax.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008, 01:06:12 pm »
I've had the tru-oil crack as well and it makes me nervous.  I've been using Teak Oil, 3 applications and then Minwax wood wax.  Easy, quick, no gloss problems and simple to add more wax.

I have never had Tru Oil crack ...yet....but it takes so many coats...I can see how it could....I like the Teak Oil too..it looks really good....and it soaks in really well...and is supposed to harden in the wood Grains...so this should add extra strength to the Bow too.....maybe!!!

But Bear grease and or Beeswax is so much faster....  >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline carpenter374

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008, 01:21:33 pm »
Ive had minwax wood wax fail me miserably.

--Carpenter