Author Topic: Traditional Seminole bow in works  (Read 63011 times)

Offline david w.

Re: Traditional Seminole bow in works
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 07:49:55 pm »
This is really cool Bob thanks
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline michbowguy

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 01:35:02 am »
bob,
 i was wonderin' when ya were gonna get some of your stuff on here!!!
that little bow is great,hows she bending?

i thought my work was getting good...and you come along with some coconutty fibers, a seashell,and a rock and poof. dinner!
"esti"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 02:01:19 am »
Cool project Bob. Looking forward to it!    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 02:20:43 am »
"Esti"-I think yer stuff is pretty good. Bow is ta floor tiller ( bendee good )  ;D gonna smoke it and sinew it before I finish tiller it.thx....bob

Dingleberry

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 11:31:22 am »
Great Stuff. Can't wait. :)

Offline 1/2primitive

• Bible believing Christian
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 08:21:05 pm »
This is neat. Me like!   :)
    Sean
Dallas/Fort Worth Tx.

todd robbins

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 04:04:15 am »
Bob,

I've got a good bit of cypress lumber over here in Cape Coral you're welcome to pick through, if you ever want to do this again with cypress.  E-mail me at toddrobbinsus@yahoo.com if you want any.  How's that carrotwood work?  I scrapped a couple of really nice tree trunks after hurricane Charlie. :(  How did this finished project turn out?

Todd

Offline Traxx

« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 01:44:53 pm »
Yeah,wheres the rest a this story?

The other Todd
 ???

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 05:17:13 pm »
The project is in the works fellas. Smokin, 3 courses of sinew and then dryin' sinew let alone the wood takes time. Will update as soon as I have somethin' ta tell ya and show. More ta come ...........bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 07:06:28 pm »
Thx Todd for offer but I have plenty of cypress just havent gotten out there. Carrotwood is a good bow wood have made some bows with it. The tree is invasive  + this one was in way and got hit by lightening. Thank you Great Spirit ! ;D.....bob

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2008, 10:41:34 am »
Bob
Never heard of carrotwood. Is that the tree carrots grow on?  ::)

Nice project
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2008, 11:28:33 am »
Bob....do you have any Carrot Wood that you would want to get rid of ....for lets say Shipping and such???? Let me know.......I know what Invasive is....they planted Salt Cedars here in the 60's for Soil Erosion purposes...now they are clogging up all of the small Streams and River Banks....threatening to suck up all of the Water...they are so thick that you cant even walk through them....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2008, 05:12:46 pm »
Bob
Never heard of carrotwood. Is that the tree carrots grow on?  ::)

Nice project            Ha ! Yes thats tree carrots grow on ! ;D Its called carrotwood Marc because when its first cut it smells like carrots and has the same orange color then it fades. ;D
Bob....do you have any Carrot Wood that you would want to get rid of ....for lets say Shipping and such???? Let me know.......I know what Invasive is....they planted Salt Cedars here in the 60's for Soil Erosion purposes...now they are clogging up all of the small Streams and River Banks....threatening to suck up all of the Water...they are so thick that you cant even walk through them....
Yankee I dont have any now but when I get some will let ya know. It was planted here as an ornamental and the county says by 2010 all have taken be out even dooryard trees. No native vegetation will grow under it and it grows very fast. Fauna cant use it and it provides no food er shelter fer them. Dont ya luv developers and the State. Oops ! sorry we made a mistake ! ::)RIGHT !!!!............bob

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 05:24:36 pm »
Thanks...just keep me in mind...I would love to try a Piece of it...as long as it's not illegal to send the dead Wood.... I am looking for some Mesquite to build with...but I am having a Hard Time finding any that doesn't have so many branches on it...that you cant build a Bow from it...plus I have heard that it need to be backed also....but I am still going to try my luck at it!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2008, 11:49:24 pm »
Yankee , I heard on another forum , that mesquite root was sometimes used . They apparently are much straighter . Would involve some diggin' though ... Maybe look for a mesquite bush growing on the side of a steep hill or creek bank, so the digging will be easier ?

Ralph