Author Topic: Traditional Seminole bow in works  (Read 62791 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Traditional Seminole bow in works
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 12:42:01 am »
Hey....thats an Idea....I know where there is about 10,000 acres of ranch land that they just uprooted every Mesquite for as far as you can see...and pushed them all up into piles....I need to see if I can get permission to go scavenging!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2008, 01:25:13 am »
Ok I got some time last coupla days so here is the tree rat hides with hair I will make 2 strings outta. Been fleshed dried and cut into rough circles with a sharp and I mean SHARP stone flake. Next step is ta cut string thongs and make 2 strings fer the bow. More ta come....bob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2008, 04:34:08 pm »
I've had tree rat hide strings in the back of my mind for awhile now bob - this will be interesting to see :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2008, 07:10:14 pm »
We would have to have trees to have tree rats.  How about rock rats, is that alright Bob.  ;D
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2008, 08:27:22 pm »
These are fox tree rats. Course they are illegal ta hunt in florida. ::) Ya know Justin, I dont see why rockchuck (Woodchuck ) and badger would not work. Hides on critters are different. Fer instance grey rats are worthless IMO. Ya need fox NOT red tree rats (too small ) ! ;D. Deer and such are ok (read crap here). Have used woodchuck an workee good. Fox rat strings have lasted me almost 1000 shots. Damm here come the arguments ! :o Try em and see........bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2008, 08:37:01 pm »
We have woodchuck, or rockchuck as we call them since they like the lava rocks so much.  But I was talking about grey squirrels, they live in rocks and burrows around here.  No tree squirrels around here.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2008, 09:35:58 pm »
We have woodchuck, or rockchuck as we call them since they like the lava rocks so much.  But I was talking about grey squirrels, they live in rocks and burrows around here.  No tree squirrels around here.  Justin
.........Betcha wood chuck would workee good ! Grey ground tree rats hmm...maybe gotta try them I guess got no experience with em...............bob

Offline welch2

• redneck heathen
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2008, 12:26:09 am »
What about regular old swamp rats ? Or possums even ?

Ralph

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2008, 12:47:13 am »
Possum didnt workee good fer me as didnt swamp rats...bob

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2008, 01:19:33 am »
Ok so I did some more work on the hides that will be strings. Since I wanted to accomplish two things with this build-a-long i.e.:make a traditional seminole bow and arras, and 2: use only stone tools and paleo materials as we know them and make a archery system that we THINK ? was made maybe this way back then. Ok too the strings. I used a sharp and I mean SHARP obsidian Hoko knife ta cut the strings. I like flakes better usually but in this case the Hoko gives ya better control and leverage. This is enough fer one string. Each strand is 15' long by say about 1/16" wide hair left on- its the ole' way. Why ? Its quicker and that was important. This method takes patience not ta "screw" up and make a cut 2 narrow. Took about 2 hours ta cut the strands. Next I will wet, stretch, twist and stretch again an dry ta make strings and finish it off and preserve it. That will be one string. The spare will be made the same way. ;) More ta come ........bob

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:57:30 am by Coo-wah-chobee »

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2008, 02:08:40 am »
  Hahaha ! Notice red in middle of pic ? Thats my BLOOD  :o from hoko knife forgot ta say that.......bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2008, 02:24:22 am »
Nice Bob.  Thanks for showing your tools also.  I need to make some more tools. Justin

SW Utah

Offline DanaM

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2008, 08:29:46 am »
bob when you cut your strips do you do it free hand or use some type of guide?
I'm guessin ya did it free hand :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Woodland Roamer

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2008, 09:31:52 am »
Nice work Bob, I've enjoyed this and looking foward to seeing more.

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2008, 11:00:10 am »
So the strands are 15' X 1/16". I don't have a clue about how this is done (well maybe a clue ;D) - can't wait to see how she's twisted :)..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.