Author Topic: Micro Wave, oh my!  (Read 13618 times)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Micro Wave, oh my!
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2016, 08:21:09 pm »
I was posting while I was using it, no problem with the internet. I've been using one for close to fifteen years bending wood, everything still works. I'm more worried about what I've been exposed to at work. Thirty plus years of drilling in Chemical, Nuclear Power Plants and EPA Super Fund sites in Space suits,so I'm not  worried about bending wood with a hot dog cooker. Like said, Rock on.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »
I left an old microwave in my office at work when I cleaned my stuff out last week.  You've got me wanting to go back and grab it. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2016, 11:14:23 pm »
Clint, Osage bends real easy at less heat then White wood.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2016, 05:06:08 pm »
I can't tell from the picture--the holes go straight through the microwave?  What did you cut them with and how did you know you wouldn't hit anything critical and electrocute yourself to death?

He probably unplugged it first.  O:)  >:D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2016, 01:58:12 am »
That's cool...
Has local air traffic control been seeing UFOs on their radar since youbeen doing it? ::)  :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2016, 02:56:19 am »
When I am making a woodenjigsaw catapult or doing anything where I will be gluing multiple different woods together I always use the micro to get the moisture contents where I want them so it doesn't peel itself apart later with different shrinkage rates..

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2016, 12:00:01 pm »
instructions unclear....  now everytime i turn microwave on i pee my pants and forget my name for a bit...
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2016, 12:32:31 pm »
In the early 2000's I repaired Nuclear Gamma Cameras. One day I was waiting to talk to my boss while he was on the phone. After standing there for about 3 minutes he took the phone from his face, and asked if I would step back, as he was running flood tests, and I was standing in between the machine, and the target.  >:D I'm fine, No issues that I can see. Not even a bonus testie.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline akila

« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2016, 03:11:58 pm »
Hi..i have to admit that this was realy funny to see those pictures, and i think i have read aboute this recently, that someone was drying wood for knifes in the Microwave oven. Now i honestly think that you should realy read this, and thenn decide for your self, if this is worth taking the risk. This is what i found aboute Microwaves danger. I also stoped a fiew years ago, using this stuff for warming food and so on. I realy think its not safe, and healthy.

''Microwave Facts
Microwaves are radio waves with frequencies ranging from around 300 million cycles per second (300 MHz) to 3 GHz. RF. A standard measure of exposure for microwave energy is the Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) or rate of tissue energy absorption measured in watts per kilogram of tissue.

Microwave radiation leakage can damage human cells and tissues.
All appliances working on electricity produce a toxic electromagnetic field (EMF) of approximately 60 hertz. This is over and above potential microwave leakage from appliances or devices.

Microwave ovens can leak
Microwave leakage is serious enough that the FDA sets strict limits on it for the manufacturers. But once door seals age, leaking tends to exceed those limits, often at head level. That’s bad news, because the microwave energy inside a microwave oven is massive!

Frequency inside your microwave 2.45 BILLION hertz.
Frequency shown to start harming the human body: over 10 hertz
That’s 2.45 billion vs. 10 hertz. It doesn’t take very big leak for the damage to begin. (One top culprit: aging door seals)''

Alot of people will say, that is completely safe, etc. I know only that whenn water that was  first heated in the Microwave oven, and left to cool down, is used for Plants, they end up dying in 2 weeks...so, i think its realy something to take into consideration, specialy that you drilled those holes in there..cou can imagine that there is some leakage there.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:16:05 pm by akila »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2016, 03:14:20 pm »
I asked my doctor if it was unusual that my left testicle was larger than the other two.  She looks like she could have been a centerfold in a 1960's Eastern Bloc Communist Tractor Supply Catalog and has the accent to match!  She started to explain that while it is not unusual for one to be larger than the oth..."VUT YOU ZAY, OZZER TWOOOO???!!!"   >:D

Despite the impromptu and hurried prostate exam, the look on her face was totally worth it!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2016, 05:41:02 pm »
Microwave energy can be absorbed by the body and produce heat in exposed tissues. Organs with a poor blood supply and temperature control, such as the eye, or temperature-sensitive tissue like the testes, have a higher risk of heat damage. However, thermal damage would only occur from long exposures to very high power levels, well in excess of those measured around microwave ovens.

Misconceptions: To dispel some misconceptions, it is important to realize that food cooked in a microwave oven does not become "radioactive". Nor does any microwave energy remain in the cavity or the food after the microwave oven is switched off. In this respect, microwaves act just like light; when the light bulb is turned off, no light remains.

Taken from the World Health Organization website :  http://www.who.int/peh-emf/publications/facts/info_microwaves/en/
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2016, 05:54:46 pm »
I went looking for reliable info on this and there are so many ravers out there it's hard to wade through it. I think the best you can do is believe outfits like FDA and WHO although the ravers say that they are run by big business concerns. It's getting so you can't believe the internet. Who'd a thunk it. ;D ;D ;D. We'll just have to trust that Mullet will report if anything falls off in the next few years. ;) ;)

Offline akila

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2016, 06:19:10 pm »
I didnt said that the food is becomming radioactive. Its aboute the nutrients in the food that are being damaged, and you practicly eat nothing in the end. On the webpage of WHA, sayis there very clear, that the leackeage can be dangerouse. Aniway, i was just trying to raise awareness, that it might still be dangerouse.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2016, 07:24:47 pm »
The wife said she will let everyone know when/if something falls off. Good thing they just developed a new procedure for transplanting a certain body part.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline DC

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2016, 07:46:11 pm »
Good thing they just developed a new procedure for transplanting a certain body part.

Have you got a link for that ;D ;D ;D