Author Topic: Arrow build-a-long  (Read 27942 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Arrow build-a-long
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2016, 11:09:11 pm »
What's your drill size? The protective wrap is what kinda tape?

I'm not sure what size the drill bit was.  I picked one out that was slightly smaller than the bottom of a plastic nock.  I have some needle files to get it to final size.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2016, 11:19:05 pm »
I roughed out a lot of feathers today.  I'm going to try to get more done on the arrows this weekend.  I bought some spray paint for them.  I want to get another color or two.  I'll need some kool-aid to dye the feathers also. 

JacksonCash

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2016, 06:59:27 am »
I've got a bunch of river can Bill gave me some pointers for. I'll be watching this to see what you come up with.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2016, 06:11:09 pm »
I finished shaping the nocks on all the shafts.  I used some sandpaper and a couple of very small files.  I'll wrap them below the string groove after I get them painted.

I trimmed the feathers down a little more and sanded the quills on my 1x30 belt sander.  I use a clamp made from some scrap boards and some hinges.

I got all the LW turkey and goose feathers sanded.  I'll get the RW's done tomorrow if its not raining.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2016, 06:34:36 pm »
Those nocks look good........So you use milk jugs to dye your feathers?
 Wow, good idea i'll do that next time...........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2016, 06:36:46 pm »
I'm not sure what I'm going to dye them in Bill.  I normally use a peanut butter jar.  I knew you would like the nocks.  I have been using the quick plastic ones lately but I went with self nocks on these just so you couldn't give me a hard time about them  ;D

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2016, 08:04:03 pm »
Nice looking nocks Clint.  Word of warning though, if you do plan to bare shaft tune your arrows, be sure you wrap the base of those nocks with sinew or thread before you test them.  Last time I tuned some, I did not wrap them and I had a tonkin arrow split nearly the entire length of the shaft. It cut my string in two, but luckily that was the only damage, it could have been much worse.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2016, 08:58:14 pm »
Thanks for the tip.  I planned on wrapping them before I did any shooting.  I stopped tonight and got some more paint and kool-aid. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2016, 09:30:39 pm »
Looks like you're working on one of those 24-shaft bundles we picked up at Marshall.

Lookin' forward to the dyeing!  http://www.dyeyouryarn.com/kool-aid.html
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2016, 08:33:48 am »
Looking good Clint. Don't know if those are feathers I traded but I sure hope your happy with them if they are. I hope you like the goose I can get lots of those they seem a bit odd shaped at first but after you trim them down they look good. Guys tell me they work good in rain. I think I owe you yet I got way to good of a deal on trade.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2016, 01:49:25 pm »
Thanks for the link Knoll.  You are right about the bundle of shafts.  I think most of us bought them at that price. 

Bjrogg, I was fine with the trade.  Some of the feathers are your turkey secondaries and the goose.  They are a little small but I think they will work.

I got the shafts painted and sealed today.  I went with a high visibility orange on most of them.  I painted the tips black on some for my Bengals colors.  The other ones I painted the tips blue for my kids school colors.  I ran out of orange so I did a couple in pink and black.  I left a few natural for now.  I like the looks of a natural cane arrow but they are so hard to find on that rare occasion I miss the target  ;D  I found a few cracks in the shafts.  When the paint hit them they really stood out.  I will put some superglue in them and maybe add a small wrap.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2016, 02:32:05 pm »
lookin good buddy, thanx for the advice Dbar.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2016, 06:50:48 pm »
Look good Clint what are you going to use for points?
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Mounter

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2016, 09:29:35 pm »
Lookin good! Can't say I like the bengals ones though.... >:D

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2016, 09:38:35 pm »
BJ, I think I'm going to use glue on field points.  I might use duplex nail points on some of them also. 

Mounter, what team do you root for?