Author Topic: New Yew bow build along  (Read 34323 times)

Offline Ian.

Re: New Yew bow build along
« Reply #45 on: July 10, 2016, 05:53:09 pm »
All the footage is there just need to cut it down from 20 minutes
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #46 on: July 11, 2016, 03:36:55 pm »
Patience is a virtue, I don't have much of it 😂
~Isaia

Offline Ian.

« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2016, 04:35:37 pm »
Patience is a virtue, I don't have much of it 😂

That is exactly what makes a good bow maker  ;D
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline poplar600

« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2016, 04:15:25 pm »
Hardly a build along!

Also I know of a few English bowyers. Don't you guys over there believe bowmaking is some kind of secret that only a few can know? Surely you will get int trouble for sharing these "secrets" in an all telling video lol

Never understood that as it's all in books anyway  ::)

mikekeswick

« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2016, 02:55:33 am »
Hardly a build along!

Also I know of a few English bowyers. Don't you guys over there believe bowmaking is some kind of secret that only a few can know? Surely you will get int trouble for sharing these "secrets" in an all telling video lol

Err no....;)

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2016, 04:34:11 pm »
Hardly a build along!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sR28fBBADdY&index=1&list=PLBz2tD9476KRkSOSICLsc-zj5ADyPKLZB
Del
« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 04:51:17 pm by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline poplar600

« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2016, 11:01:35 pm »
Ok well fair enough to you Del.

I've come across quite a few snooty UK bowyers though; especially those who build longbows. I tried to book a course with a guy when I was over visiting. Said he only taught laminate courses as yew longbow building was a secret  ???

mikekeswick

« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2016, 03:20:57 am »
Ok well fair enough to you Del.

I've come across quite a few snooty UK bowyers though; especially those who build longbows. I tried to book a course with a guy when I was over visiting. Said he only taught laminate courses as yew longbow building was a secret  ???

One man is not representative of a whole country.....Who are you talking about? I know most of them and there aren't that many.

Offline poplar600

« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2016, 01:26:02 pm »
How was this a build along anyhow?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #54 on: July 17, 2016, 02:33:14 pm »
When people say there are secrets they don't want to share it normally means they have nothing to offer.

If we're talking about good bow makers there only one or two you could even get a heavy self yew bow from.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2016, 02:40:12 pm »
Watched the video Del, it's a nice explanation. I would certainly consider mounting the bow in a way where it can't move and wiggle around. I clamp them down often to prevent this so you only see the action of the bow limbs being tillered
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 03:08:28 pm by Ian. »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2016, 02:50:05 pm »
When people say there are secrets they don't want to share it normally means they have nothing to offer.

This is true in MANY disciplines, not just the art and craft of bow making!  The first whiff of this attitude and I cut ties with the person.  Period.  Let's just say I have a long history of dealing with these kind of people and have lost all tolerance.

And that is why after something like 9 years, I am still dedicated to this forum and a vast and overwhelming majority of the users here. 

Post on, Ian!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2016, 02:56:33 pm »
Del, thanks for posting the video, loved it , really helpful to see everything. 👍
~Isaia

Offline poplar600

« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2016, 03:27:09 pm »

If we're talking about good bow makers there only one or two you could even get a heavy self yew bow from.

Who are the bowyers for MR replicas? Did a google search and found quite a few. Mostly UK based.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2016, 03:38:40 pm »

Who are the bowyers for MR replicas? Did a google search and found quite a few. Mostly UK based.

Roy King was the one who made them but that was years ago, and sadly he passed away. Others have made 'replicas' but never convincingly. The rest of the crowd were historians, archers and an actor who knew a bit about archery. Nowadays you're limited