Author Topic: New Yew bow build along  (Read 34333 times)

Offline poplar600

Re: New Yew bow build along
« Reply #60 on: July 17, 2016, 06:23:11 pm »
When people say there are secrets they don't want to share it normally means they have nothing to offer.

If we're talking about good bow makers there only one or two you could even get a heavy self yew bow from.

Who are the bowyers for MR replicas? Did a google search and found quite a few. Mostly UK based.

Roy King was the one who made them but that was years ago, and sadly he passed away. Others have made 'replicas' but never convincingly. The rest of the crowd were historians, archers and an actor who knew a bit about archery. Nowadays you're limited

What makes a true MR replica? Please explain

Offline poplar600

« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2016, 06:37:17 pm »
From your photo's, it does look like a nice big chunky bow. Nice bend on it.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2016, 07:15:44 am »
When people say there are secrets they don't want to share it normally means they have nothing to offer.

If we're talking about good bow makers there only one or two you could even get a heavy self yew bow from.

Who are the bowyers for MR replicas? Did a google search and found quite a few. Mostly UK based.

Roy King was the one who made them but that was years ago, and sadly he passed away. Others have made 'replicas' but never convincingly. The rest of the crowd were historians, archers and an actor who knew a bit about archery. Nowadays you're limited

What makes a true MR replica? Please explain

A bow of the right wood and dimensions as an original. Follow the spec of one of the MR bows and don't rely on averages all the time. One bow maker who insists MR bows are only 100lb uses the length of the longest bow and the dimensions of the thinnest bows and the result is obviously something lighter than what was used. 
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline poplar600

« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2016, 01:58:24 pm »
Are you putting up a video?

Offline Ian.

« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2016, 03:33:37 pm »
It's just uploading to YouTube which could take a few hours, link will be posted when it's up.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline poplar600

« Reply #65 on: July 18, 2016, 05:54:04 pm »
Youre way of building the bow seems interesting.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:07:56 pm by poplar600 »

Offline meanewood

« Reply #66 on: July 19, 2016, 06:48:33 am »
The secrecy silliness would be due to people taking themselves too seriously.

This site is for people to share information and ideas.

If someone has set themselves up as a 'professional' bowyer and has joined a 'Guild' then they may adopt some of the practices of bowyers of the past!
One of them being to keep the tricks of the trade secret from all but their apprentice!

It's pretty harmless really because plenty of us amateurs are on sites like this and are only too happy to share our collective wisdom about any challenge you may encounter.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #67 on: July 19, 2016, 07:40:45 am »
The secrecy silliness would be due to people taking themselves too seriously.

This site is for people to share information and ideas.

If someone has set themselves up as a 'professional' bowyer and has joined a 'Guild' then they may adopt some of the practices of bowyers of the past!
One of them being to keep the tricks of the trade secret from all but their apprentice!

It's pretty harmless really because plenty of us amateurs are on sites like this and are only too happy to share our collective wisdom about any challenge you may encounter.

Let's be clear the Guild is about target archery and very few of them have knowledge that would be recognised to a medieval bow maker.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #68 on: July 19, 2016, 07:41:05 am »

Offline WillS

« Reply #69 on: July 19, 2016, 09:07:27 am »
Excellent video Ian, well done!

Seeing that bow in person was a real pleasure, its absolutely beautiful.

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #70 on: July 19, 2016, 10:52:41 am »
Awesome video Ian! Warbows are one of the reasons I really got into archery. I'll make one sooner or later! Cheers- Brendan

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #71 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:20 am »
Thanks for the video Ian, ace stuff and good to see how and what tools you used.  8)

Ruddy.

Offline DC

« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2016, 12:43:40 pm »
Excellent video. Don't know how you can stand having the bow rock up and down in the vice like that :D :D :D

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2016, 01:26:38 pm »
DC I was thinking the same thing. I know that would drive me nuts!

Offline Ian.

« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2016, 02:52:21 pm »
Now I'm used to doing it like that I couldn't bring myself to tighten that vice any more if I wanted to  ::)