Author Topic: Elk hunting gear questions  (Read 10021 times)

Offline Aaron H

Re: Elk hunting gear questions
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2016, 02:34:02 pm »
I wish the best of luck to you Scott.  Put the arrow where it needs you go, your points will handle the task.

And don't forget to give us a good story when you get home.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2016, 06:26:16 pm »
Scott:  Are your tags for antlered or cows?  The reason I ask is I hunt cows completely different than bulls.  Different strategy.  Where in Idaho do you have your tags?  When I had an outfitters license I had a back quiver that I made for horse back riding as it was always a long ways back in the mountains.  I used that same quiver when I hunted coastal elk in Oregon and Washington because it kept the feathers dry and was a very quick way to get an arrow out and knocked.  Someone came up with Cat Quiver design which works much the same way.   Those quivers did not always survive the rodeos.  I tried to make one for the raffle and it turned out way to heavy and big.  I never had a problem with breaking a point except when shooting.  Please don't disregard the cow calls.  A lost or distressed calf call can bring in cows and a good "here I am" cow call can work wonders on bulls.  There are three different bulls when it comes to calling.  A herd bull and he has all the eyes of his cows for help and he will not come any distance from them.  Young bulls want some action but if you sound to big they will retreat so you have to go to them.  The third bull is the one you can call in as he is generally a bigger bull that has no cows and is willing to accept a challenge.  He will often circle to get the wind, but will take chances if you don't over call him! A good pair of field glasses is necessary.  We had a small herd of 20 or so cows head up country yesterday across the hills from the house.  They are beautiful this time of year.  Good Luck   Joe   
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2016, 08:32:57 pm »
Something tells me you will do just fine my friend ;)

+1, for sure!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2016, 09:32:33 pm »
Wolf Watcher,
I am wondering what type or brand of calls you use for the bulls? I think Scott, myself and others will benefit from your experience.

We added a cow elk "Heads up" decoy to our bag of tricks last year and I truly believe it brought in the young 5x4 that my buddy took at 12 yards. We were 50 yards apart and he was cow calling and flashing the decoy. I was young bull calling and it came by me and to my buddy as I said. Elk hunting is the greatest hunting I know but I also realize you can never stop learning. I like a diaphragm call and a Primos Make a the bull crazy cow call. I keep a Hoochie Mama tied on my belt and will make low toned calf calls when going through dark timber. All my bull calls are with diaphragm and a piece of plastic pool tubing wrapped in camo tape. We hunt from Vail north to Steamboat Springs if you know of any areas worth looking at.
Thanks

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 11:25:15 pm »
Years ago when I was going to college in Colorado we used to hunt out of Rifle.  Was pretty good for elk and big mule deer bucks.  I hear its been fairly used up!  In the late 40s and early 50s we used to go to Yellowstone in Sept. for a week or so to fish and watch the elk during the rut.  It was a fantastic learning experience. I had a bugle made out of a piece of cane. To this day I would rather call a big bull in close than shoot him.  Bugling bulls is my elk hunting joy.  I can get three cow tags each year, but usually take a big calf as that is more than enough to feed us.  I have been going to a camp as an instructor with the Worland Game and Fish Wardens for some years now.  At one of those camps we were given a "POWER BUGLE" made by Elk Inc. out of Gardner Montana.  It is the best one I have found as it can generate several tones and volumes.  As far as cow calls go, I have a very small and simple one called Carlton's Calls.  It is about 2" long and 5/8" around.  It has a plastic reed with a movable round rubber band over the reed that can be adjusted to change the sounds.  It fits in my pocket or in the palm of my glove and I can make all the calls with it.  I quit carrying my  Hoochie Momma as I never learned to make consistent calls with it.  If I was asked to give anyone advise about bugling and cow calling I would say be very judicious and do not over call.  A bugle made out of a piece of rubber garden hose can be just as effective as the high dollar ones in the hands of an experienced caller.  By the way,  Mike "Hawk" Huston bugles and cow calls without a bugle and is very good at it.  I also rate shooting a bull moose with primitive equipment as good as it gets for me.  Joe

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2016, 10:27:56 am »
Check the testing and findings of Dr.Ashby Scott for penetration concerns.Type in toughhead arrow heads.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 12:47:12 pm »
Wow, Joe a plethora of knowledge and wisdom being given here. I have been reading about and studying this animal for years, but have very little experience in close contact with them. The little tidbits about elk traveling up in the morning and down in the evening, bull characteristics, and calling techniques are invaluable to someone just trying to get into this game.

Our plan is to get either sex tags and hunt North of Mountain Home. My calling will be restricted to cow calling and let Tell do the bugling. Idaho allows us to use our Elk tags for any of 4 different game animals so there is a chance black bear might also be on the menu. Spot and stalk is about the only way I'm interested in bear hunting and this seems like a real possibility in that area.

Ed, I have studied Mr Ashbys findings as well as many others test based opinions on the subject and believe they all have some merit. Moreover, I have put down some notes of my own practical application and try to reconcile my findings with what others are seeing. In the end, it must be sharp, it must be pointy, and you must hit what ur aimin at.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 02:03:40 pm »
Scott:  I have worked on pipelines thru the area around MT. Home but only know the area south of town.  That area is famous for Bruno jasper and it makes some fantastic points and blades.  I just got the results of the tag drawings and was very surprised to get a bull elk tag and an antelope tag right here on the ranch.  I have never been able to harvest an antelope with my bow although I have scared a lot of them.  A feather fletched arrow makes a lot of noise out on the prairie and that is all they need to be able to turn and out run a slow moving arrow! 
I can promise you that your points will be perfect.  Its easy to try shots that are not safe kill shots.  Because of the size of these animals it is paramount to pick a target to zero in on.  Think small, aim small.  This is also a problem with black bears as it is hard to judge exactly where to aim.   Good Luck!  Joe

Stringman

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 05:37:13 pm »
I will definitely be keeping my eye out for knappable rock, but haven't heard about any in our area. It would certainly make the trip that much more memorable. Congrats on drawing a bull tag and antelope tag. I pray you reach your goals, my friend!

Aiming small is exactly what I'm doing now. I have been practicing with a fever and hope to be shooting better than at any point in my life. Time is winding down and the details are starting to stand out. I have no expectations of a super hunt or trophy animals, but pray the Good Father will lead us and keep us safe. Being in good company standing on a mountian with the free world around us will fill my soul and keep me yearning for the high country. Everything else is bonus.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 06:55:59 pm »
Did'nt you and Iowabo go on an elk hunt here awhile back?
I think Dvshunter is gonna be going this fall too.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 11:29:43 am »
Wish you the best of luck on your trip Scott.I have friends here that go every year.All have eventually gotten an elk or two.Chasing bugling elk in the mountains is like nothing else.
I mentioned Dr. Ashby for reasons that with him he did all the testing with his own money and time.Testing on some things I don't even understand.No sponsorship,no opinionated bias and no theories.No thoughts of getting rich or perks from it.Just a need to find truth.With long and recurve bows.Even at 50 pounds.The company toughhead broadheads approached him to quote his findings.Personally I don't need to look farther.
BowEd
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 11:55:24 am »
Yessir, John and I made a trip to CO a couple years ago and saw some beautiful country. We packed in on horses and were left to setup up our own camp and find our own animals. As it were we were still within walking distance of the road and had people walking through the area almost everyday. I ended up seeing 3 elk and had a great time. But I didn't learn much about elk hunting.

This time may have a different ending.

I'm sure Toughhead makes a fine hunting point.

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2016, 12:53:39 pm »
Scott:  One last thing and then I will say no more.  Here and in Idaho the wolves have really had an influence on elk behavior.  The elk that used to live in the Park and Thourofare are now down in the foothills and desert country!  In the fall the pups are learning to hunt so a lot more chasing and harassing takes place.  Wolves hunt mostly at night so you may never see them.  Reading any scat you find can help you understand what is going on with the elk.  Idaho does allow some wolf hunting. I would recommend you check into that.  They can travel 50 miles in a night so during the fall they can cover a lot of country if there is no other pack to contend with.  They will respond to calling if you know how.  If the country you are hunting in has sage brush it is an excellent local scent cover.  Hawk used to wipe it all over himself and even tied on some braches when making a stalk.  Joe

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »
man Scott, i'm gettin fired up just readin this post. wish ya the best of luck buddy.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2016, 08:58:15 pm »
Scott,
I'm sure you know....but it's all about "shot placement" as much as it is equipment.  Years ago penetration wasn't as big a deal as it is today.... A heart and lung shot placement that the arrow didn't leave the cavity did a lot of damage as the critter was running away.  I've talk to a lot of old trad archer hunters that had the same thoughts....again "shot placement"  and you'll do fine..
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking