Author Topic: Elk hunting gear questions  (Read 10019 times)

Stringman

Re: Elk hunting gear questions
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2016, 09:10:58 pm »
Joe, I would not hesitate to drop the string on a wolf, but that's gonna be the last thing I expect to see. I do like the sage brush idea, that's the same thing I do with golden rod and walnuts around here.

Thanks Mike!

Lotsa truth in that Bill. That's purty much where my minds at right now also.

Stringman

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2016, 09:25:34 pm »
And by the way Joe, I see no need for you to quit talking. Any wisdom or anecdotes you have to share are bein gobbled up quick as they're writ. That goes for the rest of the experienced elk hunters out there as well! Just keep on a feedin us with your stories and hopefully we'll pick up something useful.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 10:18:29 am »
This is a list I have put together over a few years....some I no longer use and a few new items not listed but it is a good list to remind me of all that is needed. You will see a note about calling your Visa if you use one. First year out they blocked mine after a couple purchases because it was out west and not in m normal use area. Call them and let them know, it will save a headache.

If you have any questions about an item just ask...
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Stringman

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 11:42:37 am »
That's a better list than I had compiled yet. Thanks Lyman.

Offline Little John

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2016, 04:45:22 pm »
My recommendation for quivers is the G Fred Asbel style. The perfect hunting quiver and works well with a backpack.  Good luck and good hunting have a wonderful trip.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2016, 05:36:06 pm »
  Use what you deer hunt with. What your use to.
 Since your not using your self bow no need to use stone heads.
 Not really a big deal it you kill a elk with a glass bow and a stone head. If your going to step backards. Do it the whole way.

GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT EVER YOU USE. Personally, you lik'ly don't get to go on to many elk hunts.
  I'd have to take my self bow and stone.  BUT I MIGHT BE A LITTLE BYEST I'VE BEEN HUNTING WITH  STICKS AND STONES FOR 25 YEAR.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2016, 08:40:43 pm »
.... it's all about "shot placement" .....  and you'll do fine..
DBar

Watched Scott shoot at MoJam. He's got the placement thingy down good!   :)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Stringman

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:36 am »
Thanks Mike, some days seem better than others, but as long as I keep em under 20 I should be fine.

Crooked - I reckon you get misunderstood a lot, but I hear what you're sayin. You and I have a lot in common and I have gone back and forth on the whole issue a dozen times in my head. At the end of the day I want to kill an elk. The biggest one I can find. And I want to kill him with hand made gear. None of my huntin setup was bought. It was all handmade either by me or some awful dadgum close friends of mine. That makes it special and that makes it worthy of this trip. Whether I shoot a fiberglass bow and stone points, or selfbow and trade points all of them will have meaning. If I can sink my God given ivories into backstraps and cherish the hunt in the process I'll call it a win.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this post. I appreciate your feedback and hopefully I can use the collective wisdom to make this trip memorable. Who knows, maybe there's a story in it.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2016, 10:15:54 am »
Scott, I know that you are probably in great shooting shape and you have gone over gear many times, how about your physical shape, the mountains have a way of truly kicking butt, maybe not the first day but an accumulative effect, I always thought that I would start to get stronger after a few days in the mountains but actually just plain wore down. I always would lose about 15 lbs on a 10 to 14 day hunt and I wasn't packing a lot of extra to begin with, Make sure your in shape the mountains are not to forgiving. Very important to stay hydrated.   I killed 2 elk in 10 yrs and should have killed more but it's hard to keep things together when adrenalin is running overtime, I went 10 yrs in a row an never had a bad trip ever, Love the mountains and all that goes with them, Your going to have a great time. Bob

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2016, 10:20:04 pm »
Bob, you are dead on, what many don't realize is the need to be in great shape but also the mental conditioning. After a 24+ hour drive, stocking water and groceries, setting up camp and getting in bed early enough to get up at 4 AM for a full days hunt. Your entire routine is changed for the next 2-3 weeks. Sleep,food and physical exercise has completely changed. After preparing for months for a great hunt you can totally shut down in 3 days just due to "mental" and "physical" exhaustion. We hunt hard and we hunt serious when we go but you MUST find time to take a break and enjoy a fire with friends or you will burn out fast. One year after a week I had an anxiety attack and even though I was surrounded by big mountains I felt like I was in a closet. Got a good nights sleep and rested the next morning due to heavy rains but got the mental game going again. As they say, slow down and smell the roses. Enjoy the hunt and you will have a fantastic trip and hopefully the rewards of elk venison.

I will add that we hunt entirely DIY on public lands so no outfitters cooking and preparing all the details for you. That may make a big difference if you can afford the extras.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Stringman

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2016, 10:30:24 pm »
Good points guys.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »
the wood bow should go,, you are at no disadvantage shooting a wood bow,,
if you want to shoot fiberglass ok, but it won't be as fun :)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »
I got a good look at Scotts bow at MoJam.  If I ever seen a fg bow that deserves to be hunted with its that one.  I think it is kinda a special bow to him. 
But to give you a little bit of a hard time Scott. A self bow might have a bit more mojo!
I just hope you have an amazing experience and remember,  there is more to the hunt than the weapon of choice. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!