Author Topic: Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL  (Read 56359 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2008, 09:53:56 pm »
Thanks for the info Rich. I trust your method but I never tested ability to floor tiller all the way to brace height. I guess I could give it a try. Nothing ventured nothing gained right?
Dana--- I just got of the phone with the boss and I got the official  GO AHEAD IF YOU MUST! :D
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 09:57:58 pm by Jesse-S »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2008, 02:41:13 am »
Yes, Jesse, just like you are stringing it push pull style. This also lets you know if the limbs are getting  unstable. If they are, you have a firm grip to make sure it doesn't twist too much.  It's why I either string my bows this way, or with a stringer. I'm not a fan of step through methods since I have seen limbs twisted, and overloaded.

You needed more belly wood removed, and after this if it still feels unstable check the limb taper to make sure it keeps tapering and there are no straight sections, and the same applies with limb thickness it has to be a gradual smooth taper. The other check I do is to make sure no limb section is getting closer to square than others, and on these longer bows like yours there is more room for this to happen especially where the limbs reflex  on the outer limbs.

Part of why I floor tiller these is to feel how the limbs are responding, and when you look down the limbs like this every flaw in the tiller is visually magnified, and its easier to stop before overstraining the limb and fix it because in your hands you can feel if its starting to stack, and also see this. As they say "tiller is everything", and on these bows its "Really everything" because it is more critical. It's like the car analogy, now you are working on a lamborghini ;D

Rich

Offline Jesse

« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 12:51:13 am »
Well I got a medium brace on it now and its looking ok. Nothing major is jumping out at me yet.

I pulled it back a little and it looks like the left limb needs a little work near the handle to match the right and then I will go from there. I plan to make the left limb the top because of a node I dont want in the grip.

The string alignment looks great so far
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2008, 02:22:10 am »
I agree, the left side a bit.  Just down from your fingers in the pic. where the wood changes shade, the limb looks a touch wide right there, a little more on your forefinger side ;). but maybe I'm seeing something too.
Rich

Offline Jesse

« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2008, 08:28:35 pm »
Rich are you referring to the string tracking? I am looking at the bow and the timber hitch in the pic is pulled a little to the left of center. I just moved it to center and the string looks better.   Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2008, 10:08:55 pm »
Jesse she's lookin good can't wait to try her out ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2008, 10:43:54 pm »
Thanks Dana I hope it keeps going good I am happy its braced. now I have to get both limbs even and then see how much I need to drop the weight if any. I originally thought to make it 65# but thats a bit over kill for deer hunting for me. I will be happy with 55--60# but Im not that picky about draw weight yet.  This one might come out light I dont know yet. Its pulling about 40#@ 14" right now :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2008, 10:54:17 pm »
I dont think you will have a problem making weight....unles you have a 22 inch Draw.............. ::) ::)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Jesse

« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2008, 11:22:35 pm »
Yeh I  got plenty left if I dont put a hinge somewhere :D
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 01:05:39 am by Jesse-S »
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2008, 12:09:15 am »
Jesse, The limb just looked a touch wide down from your forefinger, but I tend to get really picky about my outlines when I get the bow strung. Your string track looks fine..

Offline Jesse

« Reply #40 on: March 25, 2008, 10:34:54 pm »
Well I have bben struggling a little with some lateral stability problem but it seems to be all better for now. It started wanting to go sideways a little so I removed wood from the opposite side to bring it back in line. It is very sensitive to the lightest wood removal. Here it is pulling 42#@18"  Also is a pic taken immediately after unbracing. I moved it over on the tree to simulate where I will grip it. Left is top limb. Any input or advice is welcome.   Jesse

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 10:38:56 pm by Jesse-S »
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #41 on: March 25, 2008, 10:41:07 pm »
That's really commin along Jesse! Can't wait to see the end product - lookin good!
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2008, 10:55:42 pm »
Jesse, the bow is looking great.  Ill bet it is a screamer. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Jesse

« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2008, 12:44:14 am »
Thanks  Guys  Im pretty happy with it so far. I have made a few of these bows now but each was a little different and this one I was a little more aggressive with the design. It has a little more reflex and a little narrower than others I've made but its also pretty long. It seems like it will be fast. Well actually if I tiller it right it will be fast. I am  debating whether the outer limbs should retain a little reflex or come out straight. It looks to me like they are sharing the load well  right now comparing pics. The lateral stability thing had me a little worried and I chased it for a while to get it right. Hope it doesn't show up again latter in the process :)  Jesse 
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2008, 02:15:28 pm »
Jesse, With a deep handle like yours it adds those inches to the drawlength if your 29" draw. This plays into the final profile and how its going to look at full draw as well. If the limbs sit straight when finished you effectively have a reflexed design do to the height of the grip. Don't worry if they sit back a hair since your effective draw looks like it going to be about 32".

At full draw you may have a subtle curve at the tips, and I think you will be removing bit on the inner to mid limbs. You don't want the tips moving too much especially compared to what straight longbows do at this length.

By just removing inner limb belly wood your lateral stability should increase.

42#@18" is a good number..and the tiller is looking real good!
Rich