Author Topic: Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL  (Read 56358 times)

Offline Jesse

Re: Watch me build a reflex deflex boo backed ipe. NOT INSTRUCTIONAL
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2008, 10:00:28 pm »
Rich my draw length is 27  to 28" Im not sure what you mean by my effective draw is 32" Are you saying because of the size of my handle?  please specify. I think what you are saying is that if I had a shallower handle the profile of the bow would be less stressed than it will be with my current size?  I will need a longer draw to maintain my same form if I have a big handle and a shorter draw with a shallow handle. If thats what you are saying I understand that ;D  I plan on shaping the handle to a dished locater grip so the depth will change but its hard to do it now because of the tiller tree.  Jesse
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2008, 10:47:50 pm »
Jesse,  for some reason thought you mentioned you had a 29" draw length, and so your grip looked like a 3" height. Thats where I got 32", but now after what you mentioned are even closer to final tiller. You will also have a little reflex when shot in..just speculating.. ;)

Rich

Offline DanaM

« Reply #47 on: March 27, 2008, 10:03:18 pm »
Jesse with your draw length I get to shoot your bow but you can't shoot mine as I only pull 26" ;D
I will let ya shoot bob though he can take it, I know yer wonder who bob is??? I will show ya when I pick ya up.

BTW the bow is looking great :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #48 on: March 27, 2008, 10:16:53 pm »
Hey thats not fair I dont want to get stuck with bob :D I'll just bend my elbow. Trust me I wont break it >:D
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2008, 08:27:18 am »
bob don't look to pretty but shoots straight ;) :D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2008, 11:28:59 pm »
Well here is a picture of it at full brace of  6 1/2" and also a pic of a full draw pulling 63# @ 27" I still have to final sand it. Well it looks in the pic like its not bending a lot in the fades but I saw good movement there on the tree so I dont want to mess with it unless you pros think it necessary. It is a real easy draw and if I didnt know my scale was accurate I would think it was less weight. I had it out shooting to make sure nothing was going to change and even with my 20 strand tillering string and bulky tips it shoots a  fast arrow. I tillered the top limb to 8th" pos and it seems to balance nice in the draw. Now I have to shape the handle, cut in the shelf , shape the tips, and stain and finish.
Let me know what you think of the tiller. @ 63# I have a little room to tweak it. Right now mass weight is at 26 oz. Badger had it figured for 24 oz I still need to shape the handle but I dont think I will make 24 because I didnt do to much side tillering.  I did do some though ;D

« Last Edit: March 28, 2008, 11:38:52 pm by Jesse-S »
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2008, 01:26:28 am »
Dang that fresh water barracuda had a serious eating problem! ;D Nice fish jesse I've always wanted to catch one of those.

You will get those last couple of ounces, or be close enough that it wont matter.  It looks real good to me, and I'd love to see an unbraced pic after 50 shots or so. Don't mess with the fades either ;)

What are the arrows are you shooting from it?

Please don't put a b-50 string on it, unless its all you got for the time being. My choice for both silence and speed on these bows is a 12-14 strand Spectra endless style with around only 12 twists..

Flemmish will work, but is a heavier string, and I when I pluck both of them in front of a TV screen the flemish tends to keep oscillating for longer, and will hit my wrist when an endless won't..Little things I know. But a Lamborghini won't go very fast on retreads either :o

Rich-

Offline Jesse

« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2008, 04:06:39 am »
Thanks Rich. I will post an unbraced pic tomorrow. The arrows I have right now are 55#--60# spine but are a little long so I can cut them to get a stiffer spine I hope. Right now they seem to week. My tiller string is ff and I think it is forcing a stiffer spine arrow due to its low stretch? the string I will make for this beast will be ff padded in the loops with a little b 50 just at the loops for less abrasion. This is my first time using ff and I can tell a difference. Your right it doesn't slap your arm but what I really love is when you put the loop on the bow it doesn't stretch out right away it just stays :) With the high tension at brace height thats a big deal. :o my b50 strings stretch so much I have a harder time bracing.  By the way you've been a big help so far Rich thanks a lot for taking the time.      Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2008, 10:12:55 am »
Looks good Jesse, looks like ya won't have to borrow bob for Tennessee after all ;) ;D

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2008, 03:05:15 pm »
You asked for it so here it is. First is a pic of the unbraced bow before any tillering and another pic of it after being tillered and shot in. Looks like it took some set but nothing crazy. each hole in the board is 1" apart. Do you guys consider this a normal amount of set? I do but I dont see too many side by side before and after pics without heat treating.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 03:20:38 pm by Jesse-S »
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2008, 03:27:05 pm »
Thats terrible Jesse better give to me you don't want to be seen with that at Pappy's ;)

Looks pretty damn good to me of course I know nothing about laminated bows.

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2008, 03:33:01 pm »
Thanks Dana if its still alive then you can play with it. ;D I was looking at these pics and trying to see if I can judge which part was working the most based on where on the limbs it took set. My thinking is that it took about 1" set. 3/4 of that was in the inner limb and the tips are 1" down so that must be the other 1/4" since the outer reflexed limbs are shorter it seems like that is about even distribution. Does this make sense or am I thinking about it wrong ???    Jesse
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2008, 03:44:56 pm »
Quit thinkin and just shoot it ;D Its a fine weabon Jesse

Manistique, MI

Offline Jesse

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2008, 03:47:19 pm »
Your right Dana. gotta go its a nice day out there :D
    --Frank A. Clark

Rich Saffold

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2008, 04:25:20 pm »
Jesse, At this point I'm usually shooting the bow a bit, then unstring it and see how symmetrical the limbs are. Sometimes I adjust it using the scraper I keep in my back pocket, and sometimes I just keep shooting it..How it feels and shoots matters most of all.

Looks great! And do be shy about using arrows a little heavier than 10 gr. per #

Rich