Author Topic: My board bow (build along?)  (Read 84301 times)

Offline bubby

Re: My board bow (build along?)
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2016, 10:35:52 pm »
It's a board so it doesn't have a crown, that bow ain't gonna build itself ya know😉
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:57 pm »
Just sand the mark out
I like osage

Offline Marin

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2016, 10:41:28 pm »
By crown, I mean the top side (the shortest side). I am asking how does the boards rings look? Does it look like it has a lot of early wood rings? I forgot  to take that into account.

Offline bubby

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2016, 10:52:35 pm »
Doesn't really matter u just need to get off the bench and in the game i think it will be fine

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2016, 11:23:01 pm »
Hope ya have that fine looking board roughed out to a bow tomorrow. Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Marin

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2016, 11:37:15 pm »
Okay. I'm gluing the handle tomorrow. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just want to be sure to get as much as possible right on this bow so if it goes wrong, I know what went wrong.
Now,before I glue the handle on, I have to decide which will be the back and belly. Are there any tips I need to know about which one it should be? Does that little splinter "dent" play a factor?

Offline bubby

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2016, 12:11:44 am »
I like to make the outside the back using the ring orientation as a guide but it doesn't really matter i don't think that little scratch will be the downfall if she fails

Offline Marin

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2016, 12:17:13 am »
What do you mean by the ring orientation? Are you talking about the ring profile at the end of the board? If so, do you make the back the side that would be closer to the outside of the bow?

Offline bubby

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2016, 12:45:04 am »
I mean trees are round right? So say the end grain is like this )))))
Which side is the outside of the tree?
But if its like //// or llll it doesn't matter

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2016, 09:36:38 am »
There are certain aspects in regards to a stave that's has one growth ring for a back and a stave from a board that just do not apply. If there is a crown it is probably only there if you make it so, as in take a file and create it on the center of the back not much to worry about there unless there is obvious and tremendous cupping on your board to begin with. I just pick the side with the straighter grain and start by taking a string and placing it on a mark at the tip'a center, I can then pull it down to the other end and make a mark for the center of the other tip on the same grain line. Your board looks plenty straight grained to me. At work Thursday a little baby bird zinged right by my face on it's first attempt at flying, the parent bird right by it in midair. It "flew" all the way to the ground and stood there regrouping. Not a success and not a failure but a big perspective shift. Bubby and some of the other guys are awesome papa birds that will help in any way but also know that they got to shove you off those rafters in order for anyone to learn. Pearl drums said to someone the other day on here that to appreciate advice is to heed it and if their advice is go for it then do! You'll be spitting arrows from your own bow in no time, whether it's this attempt or a next

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2016, 10:27:42 am »
Lumber Man I like your analogy it's spot on Marin I'm a new bowyer also so I understand your fear & wanting to cover every detail but you will learn a lot more buy just doing it ! I had a osage stave that was twisted ,bowed really a  challenging ugly stave over a year I pulled it down from the rafters looked at & put it back up about 10 times & about the 11th time I pulled it down said the heck with it ether it's going to be a bow or break  it turned out to be one of my best bows  but my frustration had to over come my fear I think Bubby is just trying to give you a gentle kick in the pants like others did to me !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

mikekeswick

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2016, 11:21:01 am »
Your board is what is known as a rift sawn board. Search for the terms flat sawn ,rift sawn and quarter sawn to understand better.
The grain orientation on your board means that you can choose either side for the back.
What matters with any grain orientation on a board bow is that the fibers (grain) run straight. Your board looks pretty good.
Regarding that mark on your board - if the fibers are dented in then you could steam the area and it will come back out. A wet rag and an iron work well. Again a quick search opn 'raising dents in wood with steam' should get you a fuller explaination. If it is a scratch then the fibers have been cut and this method won't work and you will be able to sand it out  or fill it with superglue then flatten it.
Your board will likely have been planed and you should give it a light sanding with 80 grit before gluing. Make sure and keep it flat by using a dead flat block to sand with. I use plate glass or marble off cuts from a worktop place nearby....cork sanding blocks aren't the tool for this job!
Good luck.

Offline Marin

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2016, 04:47:15 pm »
Guys,
Won't be able to glue handle on today as I had something come up. Won't be able to work on bow this week due to a small trip I'm taking but I will get back to it the week after next. Just telling you so you guys dot think I went off he deep end and gave up, ;)

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2016, 04:56:05 pm »
It happens @Marvin , but I surely want to see how this comes up, so don't give up 😉
~Isaia

Offline Marin

« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2016, 02:44:33 pm »
Have been having problem with my saw. Might take me a bit longer to make cuts than expected. Sorry