Author Topic: My shooting technique!  (Read 7932 times)

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
My shooting technique!
« on: June 26, 2016, 05:05:00 pm »
Hello bowyers and archers!
I hope to find you all in good health.

I'd like to share with you my experiences shooting with different types of bows,
When I first started shooting bows I was about 12 , arrow on left side of the bow , no arrow shelf, just instinctive shooting.

I never had luck with the "standard" shooting technique ,
So I started reading about different archery methods and stumbled upon Turkish archery,
from that moment I started to place the arrow on the right side of the bow (Which is considered wrong in traditional archery for a right handed archer),
My accuracy got alot better, but I still wasn't happy and started reading about Kyudo (Japanese Archery),
Their way of shooting was complex and the accuracy of the shots was very high, however, it was highly impractical for hunting or fast shooting (due to the many different stances)..
Which made me think, why not blend both of the styles, Japanese and Turkish to form my own way of shooting?

Today I shoot in the following way:

Instinctive aim, arrow placement I the right side of the bow,
Raise the bow while drawing it back and as soon as the string is released I rotate my wrist leaving the arrow with an extremely straight trajectory which is also highly accurate.

Has anyone ever shot this way?
What do you think about this method?

It definitely works for me!
~Isaia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: My shooting technique!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 08:22:50 pm »
I do with my horn bows,,but with a thumb ring.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knotty

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 08:24:28 pm »
Mhm, did you see any difference between the techniques Eddie?
~Isaia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 08:42:06 pm »
There is a big difference between shooting with a thumb ring and Mediterranean release.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Knotty

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2016, 08:52:20 pm »
Indeed, and I actually prefer the thumb ring method!
I just feel alot more confident while shooting in that way, and that reflects with the accuracy of my shots.
~Isaia

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 09:46:49 am »
I've shot traditional for some time, both when I was younger and as an adult, then I took a long break from archery and when I came back to it I started with thumb ring and asiatic bows. I too much prefer this type of archery, feels much more the martial art to me and shooting in a historic recreation society that is the angle at which I approach archery, as a martial skill. I shoot kind of a combination of turkish and manchu styles.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 10:08:19 am »
There is a big difference between shooting with a thumb ring and Mediterranean release.

Do you mind touching on those differences? I have been tossing the idea around of buying a thumb ring and trying it.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 11:07:35 am »
That's kinda what I always thought, it just makes archery alot more interesting when adding history and cultures to it.

@Urufu_Shinjiro
~Isaia

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 04:56:27 pm »
It's hard for me to imagine rotating the wrist upon release to be good practice.. How does that not rotate the whole bow including tips and thus move the string? I've never tried anything else besides the two under one over approach so I guess I should look into it

Offline Knotty

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2016, 06:02:46 pm »
Rotating the wrist , removes the whole bow from the string's way without preventing the power from being released unto the arrow,
Leaving the arrow with a straight  trajectory.

I don't know if that makes it understandable?
~Isaia

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2016, 07:05:37 pm »
The string wouldn't track to the same place as before the rotation of the wrist.. Maybe it would be minimal... I get that if the handle was out of the way. The arrow would not have that resistance, like a drop away arrow rest but shifting the bow seems it would be similar to having a poor string alignment

Offline Knotty

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2016, 09:19:56 pm »
Well , if it has worked for hundreds and hundreds of years..  I'm pretty sure there's a reason 😂

And it does work for me, it just depends on how you're used to shooting and what works for ya!
~Isaia

Offline loon

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2016, 03:54:29 am »
It's hard for me to imagine rotating the wrist upon release to be good practice.. How does that not rotate the whole bow including tips and thus move the string? I've never tried anything else besides the two under one over approach so I guess I should look into it
uh yeah it does... on purpose  :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9pcei7cRcU

Ishi did it as well!

I've tried it and it is very hard to be consistent, although it is possible to be very accurate with it. I now prefer to do minimal movement in the bow hand without actively trying to rotate the bow. I guess, with a relaxed wrist? (if collapsed like in Korean style, otherwise more like the "big eagle claw" described by Gao Ying which is mostly just medium wrist, ring and little apply little pressure to keep the bow steady, don't try to have the bow move on release, pad of index and middle rest on back of the bow? just from my understanding)

Either way, have you seen Murat Ozveri's videos?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTZkrmM5hx4

I'd like to see a slow motion of the "forward khatra"..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 04:07:02 am by loon »

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:44 am »
The way I do it is similar to the manchus in that my grip instead of being directly behind the bow is somewhat to the side, before draw I hold the bow up above my head and slightly in front of me with the arrow parallel to the ground. As I draw down and towards me (using back tension) this puts a very slight torque on the bow, so upon release the back tension pulls the bow slightly left and the mild torque twists the bow and when done properly the bow is entirely out of the way of the arrow and imparts very little paradox. As stated above this takes a lot of practice to be consistent with but is totally worth it when done right. This is one of the reasons I consider these asiatic shooting styles as more of a martial art as it is "harder" than regular traditional shooting in that there is more to keep track of and to practice and perfect than just consistently hitting your anchor points (I know I'm boiling down western shooting and not by any means saying it's easier as I know it takes a lot of work and practice to be good at as well, just trying to get my point across with my poor communication skills, lol).

Offline Knotty

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2016, 11:03:07 am »
Yeah , that's pretty much what I do aswell.
~Isaia