Author Topic: My shooting technique!  (Read 7737 times)

Offline Lumberman

Re: My shooting technique!
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 12:48:02 pm »
Interesting stuff!

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 04:28:01 pm »
Indeed! 😊
~Isaia

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 12:30:32 am »
The way I do it is similar to the manchus in that my grip instead of being directly behind the bow is somewhat to the side, before draw I hold the bow up above my head and slightly in front of me with the arrow parallel to the ground. As I draw down and towards me (using back tension) this puts a very slight torque on the bow, so upon release the back tension pulls the bow slightly left and the mild torque twists the bow and when done properly the bow is entirely out of the way of the arrow and imparts very little paradox. As stated above this takes a lot of practice to be consistent with but is totally worth it when done right. This is one of the reasons I consider these asiatic shooting styles as more of a martial art as it is "harder" than regular traditional shooting in that there is more to keep track of and to practice and perfect than just consistently hitting your anchor points (I know I'm boiling down western shooting and not by any means saying it's easier as I know it takes a lot of work and practice to be good at as well, just trying to get my point across with my poor communication skills, lol).
Do you have a source of Manchus doing this? Maybe Scott Rodell? I thought no twist was applied to the bow in Manchu archery

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 09:30:00 am »
Maybe just the way I do the draw is manchu based, I've read so much research from various sources at this point I'm not sure, lol. I've read some manchu, a lot of turkish, some mongol, some hungarian etc. etc., lol. And every time I read about a new technique my shooting goes straight down the toilet for a bit while I work it all out again, I really need to stop researching, lol.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:11 am »
Well the Japanese did that aswell Urufu , in Kyudo.
~Isaia

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 11:03:22 am »
I'll just call it semi-ottoman kyu-bow fu, lol.

Offline Knotty

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 12:28:26 pm »
Hahaha, pretty simple eh?  👌

You know, as long as I can shoot an arrow and it hits the bullseye .. It doesn't matter how I shoot it. Lol
~Isaia

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2016, 12:53:23 pm »
This technique reminds me alot the pellet bow wrist rotation (btw i was shooting mine yesterday)

youtube video (not me in it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gl6LDwVjn4

check for more on PA:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,50771.msg704970.html#msg704970

Offline Knotty

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2016, 01:34:16 pm »
It's called a Bodoque Slingshot in Brazil, and that's the wrist rotation I do , while shooting arrows and not rocks obviously. 😉
~Isaia

Offline DC

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2016, 03:24:02 pm »
You see so many different techniques I'm beginning to think it doesn't matter how you shoot. You could shoot standing on your head as long as you do exactly the same thing every time. I think that's why it takes a little time to learn a new method. It's just your subconscious compensating for your conscious silliness. Maybe some techniques suit some peoples physical abilities better than others but I think the main thing is practice practice practice. Once you get really sick of practice, you're starting to get there ;D

Offline Knotty

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2016, 05:03:40 pm »
Exactly @DC !

I could be shooting with my feet, holding the bow with my mouth (Probably not possible) but as long as I hit my target, I don't really care😅 lol
~Isaia

Offline loon

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2016, 03:20:12 am »
Wow that pellet bow seems really fast... what is that, 30 yards and it looks like it hits instantly?!

Today after a long time of no shooting I had trouble with consistency, sometimes the arrow goes left and sometimes right (thumb draw) with a 20# bow.  I aimed sort of with the arrowhead (right side of the bow, drawing with right hand, arrowhead to the left of the target is how it is almost all the time for me) with my thumb next to my lips, sort of like a short Turkish draw. The bow was too wide for me to convince myself not to torque it.. think other things could've affected it as well, such as my release and position or something

Then I have other days where I somehow make decent groupings...

I have one bow with light spined arrows and long thumb draw where the arrow actually went sort of to an aim point through the left edge of the handle
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 03:09:13 am by loon »

Offline loon

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2016, 03:18:28 pm »
How do you all aim with these techniques? Just shoot instinctive?

Offline DC

« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2016, 04:04:06 pm »
Use the Force, Loon ;) ;)

Offline Knotty

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2016, 04:51:42 pm »
Yes loon, it's all instinctive shooting, or training Your non dominant eye to work the same for target practice.
👀
~Isaia