Author Topic: 145grn and sharp  (Read 4875 times)

Stringman

145grn and sharp
« on: August 12, 2016, 08:39:18 am »
For those of you that aren't on FB, this is the beginning of my elk hunting arrows. I'm hoping to get a few more copies made and then get everything put together. Problem is, time is runnin out!

Anybody see any problems with this style?

Offline warpath

Re: 145grn and sharp
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:57:56 am »
Those are gorgeous!!! I'm sure they'll do just fine!!! :D

G-Monee  >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 10:46:43 am »
Looks like stone Grizzlies.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:52:13 am »
Looks like they will get the job done... if you get them finished in time.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 11:23:19 am »
Sweet. They should be enough. They would
kill  three elk right there. I perfer stemmed
points for hunting too.
What weight bow do you use?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 12:33:51 pm »
I say if anyone complains you should poke em with one. I sure hope you get them on some great shooting shafts in time to stone a Elk. Good Luck stringman go get em.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 01:48:18 pm »
Ben, I have every intention to.

Don, the diamond backed bow I just finished is 54# and throws my arrows true. Arrow weights are 550.

BJ, I like that. In fact the few people who have held them, hold them very carefully!

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2016, 05:37:43 pm »
I have not hunted with stone points, but they look too big to me. If you are not shooting much distance, they may do fine, but as you probably know, lighter arrows go further faster. Added: Matched sets I have made for hunters have been in the 35-55 grain range. I keep them within 2-3 grains of what the hunter wants.

WA

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2016, 08:03:55 pm »
Seems to me if you can bare shaft a 145 grain target point you should be all set. I would think that size and weight head and arrow should be very effective for Elk. I'm sure you already checked what the regulations are. 35 to 55 grains seems pretty light. I made mine just under 125 to match my target points after pine sap and sinew. I have heard some people like shorter heads to keep head from wind planeing but I'm sure you've shot them before and I would think they would penetrate nice like that. Man I'm really routin for ya Scott hope you bring one home. My brother has gotten 3 so far he loves Elk hunting last one he had to quick get off the trail it almost ran him over. He actually made a bit of a poor shoot was to close for his wheelie bow sights. He did get it but wasn't as clean as he usally does. Take pictures and tell us the story good or bad.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Stringman

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2016, 08:34:22 pm »
Chippin, you elude to a couple discussion points, point weight and point size. Let's deal with the size first.

Most states have a legal width limit and that is usually around 7/8- 1". Mine hover around 1" by 3" long. While this size may seem on the large side, nobody says that about a steel point. My personal opinion is that long and narrow has less friction than short and narrow. Moreover any wind planing is usually minimal at the slower speeds and hunting distances common to self bow hunting.

Weight: my arrows are currently fronted with 145 grn field points and they hit what I'm looking at. Wouldn't make any sense to reduce to 50 grn, cause I wouldn't be hitting what I was looking at any longer.

I have only killed a handful of deer with my self gear, and I admit there's probably holes in my game. I also realize there are lotsa folks in that "bird point" faction that figure my stuff is just too big. I just haven't proved it out that way so I guess I'm still gatherin data. I sure don't mind the discussion, but so far nothing has been convincing yet.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2016, 09:29:43 pm »
There are books and books written about arrow weight, FOC weights,etc,etc,etc. Those discussions have likely been going on since man first put a rock on the front of an arrow or spear. Those points look slick and if they fly true and you put one where it needs to go I am confident it will do the job. Shot placement is the most important, if it aint right nothing matters.

Good luck Scott, as you know I am also going out to Colorado but knowing you are going primitive gets me excited for you. I have a good feeling about your hunt. Them elk need to be worried... :D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Zuma

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2016, 12:15:58 am »
No matter.
If you shoot like you knap and inter
act with folks here, I have only pity
for the bugler that crosses your path.
May the best of the sport be yours.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline flungonin

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2016, 01:52:05 am »
Those points are the right medicine for the game your after.
Please post pics of the elk taken by these deadly points

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2016, 11:50:26 am »
Good luck hunting, because that's all you need when you got some mighty fine arrows !
Those sure look sharp 😊
~Isaia

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2016, 01:07:14 pm »
Amazing work as always Scott.Those have Elk steak written all over them.
DevilsBeachSelfbows