Author Topic: 145grn and sharp  (Read 4786 times)

Offline Wolf Watcher

Re: 145grn and sharp
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2016, 02:11:30 pm »

Scott:  Those points will do a fantastic job.  All you have to do is put them where it hurts.  Sure wish I could send pictures as I have a very similar point glued to a picture frame that I killed a black bear with in Canada. I have killed several moose, elk, deer and bears with stone points over my life time.  I never lost an animal I shot with a stone.  That's to say I was lucky enough to have my misses be clean.  My opinion is that shot placement is more important than perfectly knapped points.  I know that as a fact as my early points were butt ugly and still did the trick. Also I can tell you that arrow flight can be different at 8 to 10 thousand feet than what you experienced at home as arrows tend to fly with much less drag.  If your are going to be hunting at altitude its a good thing to take some stomp shooter arrows to practice with.  I also always carried a couple of flu flus for grouse.  Nothing like back strap and eggs when you are in the mountains.  Good Luck Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 12:29:21 am »
Those look like elk killers to me Scott, good luck on your hunt. I'd be very happy to see a picture of you with a downed elk posted here upon your return, you got the gear and the skill to make it happen. Have fun and report back on the adventure brother.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 09:57:11 am »
Good luck on your hunt Scott. Those points look awesome and I'm sure they will serve the purpose of putting meat on the table.

Stringman

« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 10:22:45 am »
Joe, great point about elevation changing arrow flight. As it happens we will be much lower down, so that shouldn't be a problem. I do intend to take some blunts for grouse as that is also a goal of mine. And of course, practicing until I leave. My brother and I put on packs yesterday and walked mile laps and every time we got backup the hill we would take 1 shot. We were pleased with our shots and both feel we are as ready as we are likely to be.

Thanks Greg and gutshot, still a lot of unknowns (like any hunting scenario) but we are doing our part.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2016, 10:29:08 pm »
Can't wait to hear some stories. Looking at your points and knapping mine out still is getting me so stoked for September 1st! I've got the first week off and week before the last if there's no fires. Been a super wet- low fire kinda year up here. Have you shot an arrow with a head yet? I shot 2 of mine no problems, third one was all crazy. Now it's a blunt and flies great.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 02:08:42 pm »
Man have fun!!!
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Thunder

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2016, 04:40:52 pm »
Can't wait to see pics Scott!

Good luck
Thunder
"The two most important days in your life are the day you are born...and the day you find out why."  Mark Twain

Offline bowmo

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2016, 12:22:00 pm »
Those look sweet man! Georgetown is the best.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2016, 05:27:31 pm »
Good Luck, Stringman, I hope you have a great trip. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline anasazi

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 11:08:34 pm »
Nope, won't work at all guess you better send them this way.  ;)
Beautiful points they should get the job done hope to see the pictures when you get back

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2016, 02:51:34 pm »
 8)
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250