Author Topic: ZIKA VIRUS  (Read 4673 times)

Offline burchett.donald

ZIKA VIRUS
« on: August 17, 2016, 03:34:36 pm »
  Fox news reported nearly 500 cases of the Zika virus in New York...Seems it's popping up about everywhere on the East Coast...I was wondering if this is going to affect anyone's decision on early season hunting? I'm in S.C. and am concerned...Our bow season opened August 15th here...
                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline sleek

Re: ZIKA VIRUS
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2016, 03:55:06 pm »
Personally, i think these bugs are overhyped. Every year its something different. That in itself is a give away to me. People will get used to hearing about the same bug over and over again and panic will no longer ensue. But if each year a different bug is highlighted, the fear of the unknown continues on.

Put it this way, that virus has been here since the dawn of time. Just as every other virus except aids. You are as likely to get it this year as you have been since you were a jid, and will be till you die. Go hunt.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2016, 04:38:20 pm »
I agree with Sleek.  I think there is a danger to being exposed to over-hyped illnesses.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2016, 04:55:25 pm »
My thermacell will keep the zika skeeters away.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 05:09:08 pm »
LOL, Yeah. It is real, and it is cause for concern. Funny how one thing isn't an issue and others are.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2016, 05:41:11 pm »
I may be wrong but I'm quite certain zika virus has very minimal long-term effects except on pregnant women to their fetus. The damage to fetuses I know can be terrible. I'm not worried about it either. I don't plan on getting pregnant anytime soon.....

Offline Knotty

• Don't regret your past, learn from it.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2016, 06:03:37 pm »
To be honest, you guys in the US are panicking alot more than the people here in Brazil! (Where it all started).
And Zika virus can't really do much to Adults, (Other than pregnant women) or to any kid over 5-7 years old , so I wouldn't be worried..

~Isaia

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2016, 09:26:54 pm »
  Fox news reported nearly 500 cases of the Zika virus in New York...Seems it's popping up about everywhere on the East Coast...I was wondering if this is going to affect anyone's decision on early season hunting? I'm in S.C. and am concerned...Our bow season opened August 15th here...
                                                                                                                                 Don

You won't have to wait long, I'm sure I've been chewed on by enough Skeeters here. When I'm in SC hunting I'm sure the puny ones you guys have will knibble a little too.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2016, 04:03:36 am »
Nope, won't effect my decision , don't plan on getting pregnant and I read it won't kill ya.  ;) So I will be out there. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2016, 07:38:27 am »
Just to make you feel better, A Yellow Fever Epidemic has broke out in Africa. It's spread by the same mosquito and with modern travel is expected to spread. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2016, 10:18:40 am »
To be fair the perspective of this thread is a little male oriented. If my wife and I were still building a family I would be a bit more worried, I can't imagine the devistation of finding out your baby suffered this condition. We're likely gonna have it bad in Fl because Lord Voldemort, I mean Skeletor, I mean Rick Scott, cut the mosquito control budget a while back.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2016, 10:39:48 am »
I'll still go hunting.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 11:56:13 am »
Malaria, yellow fever, nile virus, zika...  :-\
I've lost track about what all I am supposed to be worried about these days?  Slap on some Deet, (oh wait, Deet is bad for you.. :o ) and enjoy your early season hunting.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 12:25:19 pm »
I have compassion for those families that will have to deal with this.  It's devastating, surely.  I can maintain that sense of compassion while recognizing that this scare in my opinion is just the latest media driven "boogy man".  It was West Nile virus before that, and Bird Flu, and Swine Flu and yadda yadda.  I read something interesting the other day, the odds of being killed by lightening... 1 in 174.000.   The odds of contracting Zika if you are in Brazil this summer...1 in 250,000.  I would not call it male oriented to go fishing in the rain ignoring the off chance that this could be your last.  I would call that living. 
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 08:06:13 pm »
Per New York Dept of Health, there have been approx 600 cases reported in New York. All travel related. Pools of water are being checked constantly and none of larvae have been found to be infected with the virus.
And I believe Paul is correct that danger is for pregnant women.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857