Author Topic: Sealing the writing on a bow  (Read 2021 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Sealing the writing on a bow
« on: August 25, 2016, 09:38:07 pm »
I'm finishing a bow and was planning on sealing with beeswax and beef kidney suet that I processed. Do I need to pay special attention so that the signature is protected from leaking and fading with this type finish?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Sealing the writing on a bow
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2016, 10:32:09 pm »
You might try burnishing the area you write on. The inks I've used will spread on raw wood. I haven't tried burnishing first so do a test first on a scrap...or a bit of poly where you are gonna write then apply the finish.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hamish

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2016, 10:43:49 pm »
Do a test on some scrap and see if the finish is compatible with the ink. Many times inks can bleed  when put on bare wood, and also when a sealant is put on over the top. I usually stamp details on with # and letter set.
A spray finish over the top of writing seems to give less trouble than a rubbed or brushed finish.

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 02:17:35 am »
Seal the wood and fill the pores with shellac first, sign it, then seal with shellac again. Then finish as you want.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 12:05:59 pm »
sealing,, writing and then sealing again is usually the way I go,, I don't like it when the ink bleeds on the raw wood :)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 02:16:40 pm »
Tested the shellac and it worked fine except left a glossy finish under the writing . Going to do a little more testing.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »
you can seal with something thats not glossy,, and write on that,, something with matt or satin,, or you can just spray what finish you like over the writing and it will work,, it doesnt have to be a spray,, any finish you like should go over glossy fine,

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 09:00:10 pm »
I sand it smooth with a green nylon pot scrubber, hit it lightly with Poly, let dry and write. Then hit it again with a few light coas of Poly and it i finished.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 09:37:46 pm »
Mullet that sounds like  a pretty good plan,,that should pretty much work on anything