Author Topic: Ishi August 28  (Read 1221 times)

Offline Traxx

Ishi August 28
« on: August 28, 2016, 10:45:52 pm »
Today,August 28,is the day,Ishi as we know him,was captured at the Ward Slaughter house,near Oroville Ca.

While there is much debate and speculation,regarding his history and story,it is without doubt,that on this day,the man,came into the modern age and re awakened the world of archery and "Primitive skills" to many.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
Re: Ishi August 28
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2016, 11:04:51 pm »
I find the story of Ishi fascinating, but i often wonder how much of it is fact or fiction... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 11:06:30 pm »
Reading about him in elementary school is what really pushed me to learn about primitive crafts. It's also what opened my eyes to how terrible native people were treated not that long ago and it was widely accepted in society.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 01:43:05 am »
Koan....
That would depend on who's version of the story,you want to subscribe to.I could go on about it for some time,concerning the contradictions,presented between those who were directly involved in the saga at the time and those presented by the Kroebers ,that was the most published and accepted version.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 01:05:32 pm »
Indeed - a good story... multiple versions. Richard Burrill has done some writing on Ishi but he to is a character some would prefer not knowing... I did participate in the dedication of the Ishi Memorial after his body and brain were returned to his homeland. There was a monument placed on the deer Creek and Mill creek divide. With in a short time of its placement all of the offerings were taken by passers by and the brass plaque shot several times with rifles. My wife told an amazing on the spot story while I played my traditional elderberry flute. It was an awesome experience. beautiful country too!

Offline Traxx

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 05:16:26 pm »
Yeah Ben...
Richard interviewed my Grandfather,in his research and he gave him many of his leads to others.I directed him to Wally Day,as Frank had long since passed.
As you know,Orin Starn also did some research and found many interesting things,especially the Origin of Ishis doctor songs.Your Cousin,being involved with that.