Author Topic: Killin time  (Read 26626 times)

Offline Woodland Roamer

Re: Killin time
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2008, 09:33:34 am »
Man that's some pretty knapping Paul!

Alan
Alan Shook-Taylorsville NC

Bring back the Stone Age!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2008, 11:06:52 am »
Thanks all, on the knapping! It just gets in your blood after awhile ;D. Now I'm rolling all kinds of weird idea's around in my head, hmm - what else might one make :D............

I wasn't planning on hauling a trailor to Pappy's but may have to with Bodark, was going to bring a load of this TX flint already. I'm going to check this guys ten acres out and if theres anything worth cuttin - billet length, whatever - I'ma gittin it ;D. Said he's dozing it down anyway and planting some kind of purty trees....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

jamie

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2008, 11:20:01 am »
paul those are awesome. peace, paris ;D

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2008, 11:25:34 am »
Paul:  Is that some rock that you picked up on the job site, or do you carry a supply of heat treated rock with you when you travel?  Those are very nice, and if you worked it raw, very, very, very nice.   ;D.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2008, 11:31:24 am »
Beautiful work.You amaze me with that stuff.I have a good friend that dose that a lot and has tried to teach me,but I never turned out anything close to that.Great work. :)
    Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline cowboy

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2008, 12:13:02 pm »
Thanks Paris ;D ;D. My girls are eat up with that Miley, uh whatever the rich kids name is stuff too :).
 Hey Mike, those shown are treated. I carry a bucket with me on the road just in case I catch some slack time - I'm trying to get another set of arrows put together for Spring turkey, need ta hurry. I did make a coupla points from the rock on jobsite here - tough stuff but makes some nice points.
 Thanks Pappy - maybe I can give ya some pointers ;D in a cupple of months...
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2008, 12:25:47 pm »
Nice!  8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline cowboy

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 04:38:13 pm »
Wow! Lot's of movin going on :D. I'm happy to see this new section - help keep things organized.

Still winded out here and still hammerin on rocks ;D. Found this nice looking specimen laying around in the desert, hehheh. Remembered seeing some of these somewhere so got busy on my new paperweight - gotta do some more of those :).

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 05:47:47 pm »
OK, now I'm confused as to what I'm looking at.  :-[  .  Is that how you rough out a point? 

Otoe.
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 06:01:23 pm »
That's just too cool, Paul. Now you gonna make one with a 6" Folsom stickin' out of the rock?  >:D ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline cowboy

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 06:36:04 pm »
That's how you might start one Mike - gives ya a better purchase on the stone while working on the point :D.
 As a matter of fact - I got started on another one and had Folsom in mind, but that rock needs a little heat :P. Did make another handy dandy utility knife...
 Allright, I'm outa here - my butt has become as one with the chair, 50mph desert winds have about heat treated me, and I'm bleadin everywhere :'( ;D.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2008, 06:38:14 pm »
Looks nice....you sure have the knack.....what is that Flint...or Chert??? Looks to be Flint ....
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

jamie

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2008, 07:09:26 pm »
thats just too cool :o

Offline cowboy

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2008, 07:37:28 pm »
Flint/chert - same thing. This is all Pederanales flint around here - some's good, some's baaaad ;D.

Got to thinking about that on way to room Hillbilly, I was thinkin Dalton and Folsom came out for some reason - now that'd be a trick 8).

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2008, 09:34:43 pm »
Some good knapping there Paul
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com