Author Topic: Game. On. First board bow...  (Read 19601 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Game. On. First board bow...
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 02:11:43 pm »
That's a long riser you have going. How narrow is the grip, the narrower you go the thicker the wood needs to be in that area.
If it is roughed out 1" wide by the time you are finished it will be considerably narrower and in the case i would glue a extra piece on the handle area, another variable is if you are cutting in a shelf you need thicker material at that point as well. A couple 1/4" thick strips will work fine
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ippus

« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 11:40:43 pm »
Well, I was trying to mimic the cherry "ringer" in Boards from Bows (ch 2, TBB II, p29-30), which is described as having a 6" handle and wider than normal limbs (3" at the grip) tapering to 1/4" nocks. I'm not quite ambitious enough to go all the way to 1/4" my first time out...
The handle on that bow doesn't appear to be any thicker than 3/4" based on the pictures.

The handle on my bow here is 6" from fade to fade, 3/4" thick, slightly generous 1 1/4" wide in the middle (1 5/16?), tapering to 1 1/8" on either side before widening out to the limbs at just under 2.5". Is that too narrow? I was basically going to smooth the edges and then wrap it with something.

I'm hearing what you're saying about stiffening it up, though... do you think at the width I have there, it's not going to be stable enough without some added thickness?

Edit: Forgot about the arrow shelf. No, I wasn't planning on cutting in a shelf.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 07:55:03 pm by Ippus »
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Ippus

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2016, 10:53:58 am »
Okay, got the handle piece glued on. It's a 1/2" thick piece of alder that had similar color and grain, 7" long. Total handle thickness is now ~1-1/4"

Questions for the group:
1) Looks like even though I clamped it, there's a little bit of a gap between the bow and the riser on one side there. Do I rasp it down so there's a smooth transition? Try to glue a shim or fill the gap with sawdust/glue mixture before I sand it down? Other suggestions?

2) I've read through the chapter on strings, and tbh a lot of it isn't sinking in. Can anyone recommend a good string-building video/pictorial?

"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline FilipT

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 12:23:12 pm »
Surfaces weren't completely flat. Try to correct this connection with rasping sides.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2016, 06:32:17 pm »
Handle smoothed out. I took Stalker's advice and rasp/filed down the curve to where there's no longer a gap.

Offline FilipT

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2016, 06:52:22 pm »
Looking good! You did well. Same thing happened on my first attempt of board bow (it was also supposed to be my first bow). Unfortunately it broke during tillering.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2016, 08:06:50 pm »
Unfortunately it broke during tillering.
Oh, don't say that! You'll jinx it, lol!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 08:18:23 pm by Ippus »

Offline loon

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2016, 09:38:47 pm »
There's backyardbowyer's videos on string building...
I think it may be easiest to really wax, then twist a bundle of strands and then tie knots. Would you be using fast-flight or dacron type material?

This knot seemed to work with D-10 (dyneema, basically just like D97) for me... can always apply some superglue, I guess. Or do overhand or a fig. 8 on a bight, which'd be more permanent. Or a zeppelin bend loop O_o .. I'd probably go with this knot first:

A timber hitch type knot is like a noose, so that could be the end that's permanently on the bow. This variation of the timber hitch is less prone to slipping, and seemed to work with D-10 for me:

from: https://echoarchery.blogspot.com/2014/12/fast-flight-strings-and-bowyers-knot.html

I think if you burn the tag/loose end after tying the knots, after they've settled with some shooting or something, the burning will expand the strands and make it so they can't slip through the knot?

Offline Ippus

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2016, 09:49:30 pm »
B50 dacron is what I was planning on. I bought a spool of it a ways back when I made my first stickbow attempt (picked a bad stick for it, and it didn't survive, anyway...).

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 09:57:19 pm »
Ya may find this useful for making bowstring.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukoRMI4pbiM
Also, 2 colors of string makes things easier for me to see what am doing.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline loon

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 11:48:44 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzZCfoopOKk

i think flemish would be too stretchy for dacron... could try to leave the non-loop portion untwisted I guess

Offline bubby

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2016, 12:36:36 am »
Flemish works just fine with flemish twist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzZCfoopOKk

i think flemish would be too stretchy for dacron... could try to leave the non-loop portion untwisted I guess
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2016, 07:08:29 am »
I'm liking the long riser look on that bow !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2016, 09:38:14 am »
Something to consider....narrow and thin is no bueno, especially in the fades.  At the point where your limb "begins" to narrow at the fade, it should also begin to thicken correspondingly.  It appears as though your thickness taper (glued in piece) begins well past that point leaving a narrow and thin section.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2016, 10:34:03 am »
The first board bow I tried to make with my only knowledge base was a 1996 copy of PA I did the same thing and the bow cracked right in the Fade area there is a lot of stress in that area , that was my first lesson of hard knocks in bow making  had many more lol
If you fear failure you will never Try !