Author Topic: Game. On. First board bow...  (Read 19644 times)

Offline DC

Re: Game. On. First board bow...
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2016, 12:04:51 pm »
Something to consider....narrow and thin is no bueno, especially in the fades.  At the point where your limb "begins" to narrow at the fade, it should also begin to thicken correspondingly.  It appears as though your thickness taper (glued in piece) begins well past that point leaving a narrow and thin section.

I'm with Slim, I think the glued on section should be at least 3" longer. You can always shorten it.

Offline Ippus

« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2016, 05:45:06 pm »
It's possible it looks worse than it is due to the proportions of the handle section. I've attached some better photos of the thickness taper.

Point D = widest part of the handle (1-1/4" wide, 1-1/4" thick)
Point C = narrowest part of handle (1-1/8" wide, 7/8" thick)
Point B = point where bow begins to taper to working thickness. At this point it still has the full 3/4" thickness of the original board and is approximately 1-3/8" wide.
Point A = widest point of the limb, 2.5" wide and ~1/2" thick.

The working thickness tapers to 3/8" further out.
(Sorry for the Facebook hosting; Flickr is being stupid and won't let me upload anything, either from the iPad or the PC. Edit: flickr stopped fooling around, so I replaced the links.)

« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 09:13:31 pm by Ippus »
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2016, 06:11:36 pm »
I'm not a board bow guy but, board or tree stave, the principle is the same.  You don't want it trying to bend in the fade.  If it does here, your handle will pop off and probably break the bow in the process hitting you square between the eyes.  If I was gluing on a handle, I would carry the length all the way past my fades.  Then I can rasp it down to get it fine tuned right at the junction.  You may have enough thickness, I don't know, just make sure it's not flexing in the handle.  My guess is it will be.  May want to redo the handle just to be safe.  Your call as you know what you have here.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2016, 06:14:50 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bubby

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2016, 06:28:49 pm »
My guess is that as long as you tiller into the fades towards the end of the process you will be fine, slim is right in that you don't want it to flex in the handle or the glued on section will pop off. That said it looks like the fades will be thick enough that they won't bend, how thick are the limbs and what draw length and weight are you shooting for?
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ippus

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2016, 08:03:04 pm »
Thanks, guys! That's the first thing I'll watch for as I start to tiller. If it looks like it's bending in the fades at all, I'll pop that off and switch to a longer handle.
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline loon

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2016, 08:19:17 pm »
what if you wrapped it tight with strong thread?..

Offline Ippus

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2016, 08:22:38 pm »
what if you wrapped it tight with strong thread?..
The handle? That was kind of my ultimate plan for a wrap, but I guess if I do it before I start tillering, it reduces the risk of its popping off and me getting it in the face.

Offline bubby

« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2016, 09:28:11 pm »
Wrapping it won't keep it from popping off so I'd save that for finish work if it was me

Offline Ippus

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2016, 10:05:59 pm »
Wrapping it won't keep it from popping off so I'd save that for finish work if it was me
Might save it flying across the room, though, lol?
I guess I was planning on wearing safety glasses anyway...   ;D

Need to figure out the nocks, too. At 3/8", it's either a fiber wrap or an overlay... Any suggestions?

Offline Ippus

« Reply #54 on: October 09, 2016, 10:26:40 pm »
Was leaning toward wrapped nocks, actually, but I can't seem to track down a good how-to.

Wrapped vs. overlay?

Offline Ippus

« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2016, 10:34:19 pm »
That said it looks like the fades will be thick enough that they won't bend, how thick are the limbs and what draw length and weight are you shooting for?

The limbs are a slightly generous 3/8" currently, maybe a little more in a couple places. I'm aiming for 35-45 lbs at 30".

Offline bubby

« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2016, 10:55:21 pm »
I prefer an overlay with the string groove mostly in the overlay

Offline FilipT

« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2016, 03:48:53 am »
Ippus, use Postimage for posting images

Offline loon

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2016, 03:52:19 am »
Yeah, the facebook image links expire..

Offline Ippus

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2016, 09:19:20 pm »
K. Flickr works today, so I replaced the FB links.

Got the nocks on and string made. Tied on a long string (just paracord) and put it on the tree just to see what we have to work with. Slowly exercised it up to about 25 lbs, then checked it.

Looks like the left limb is pretty stiff, and there's the beginning of a hinge on the right.

I don't think it's bending in the fade. The light's not perfect, and my tillering tree doesn't want to stay level.