Author Topic: Game. On. First board bow...  (Read 19647 times)

Offline bubby

Re: Game. On. First board bow...
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2016, 10:30:20 pm »
Get a piece of 6" long straight wood for a straight edge and run it along the limbs and you will see where it isn't bending proper as the gap will change. As soon as it changes mark the bow in that spot keep moving and when the gap changes mark and scrape between the marks.
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Ippus

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2016, 10:37:41 pm »
Get a piece of 6" long straight wood for a straight edge and run it along the limbs and you will see where it isn't bending proper as the gap will change. As soon as it changes mark the bow in that spot keep moving and when the gap changes mark and scrape between the marks.
Hey, cool! Thanks!
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline Ippus

« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2016, 12:38:51 am »
Well, I kept at it. I got it to low brace, took a little off, tried again, took a little more off trying to get it evened out. Eventually took it to 35# at 27".

Seems like there's still a little bit of hinge close in on the right, and the left limb is still too stiff, but it feels like it's getting closer.

Also looks like it's taken a little bit of set. Hm. I think I can live with that much.

Maybe tomorrow night I'll try full brace, and see if I can't get it evened out. If it's only pulling 35# at 27" though, I'm thinking I won't get much more than that at 30", by the time I have it all evened out.
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline bubby

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2016, 01:16:28 am »
that right limb is doing most of the work at that hinge, you need to stay 8" away from it and get the rest of the limb working. Use the straight edge get both limbs bending better and don't pull it past 18" till it is right, you will be surprised how little weight you will lose. Once you see a problem never go past that draw length till it is corrected

Offline loon

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2016, 01:22:39 am »
looks like it's bending too much at the inner limbs to me..

good that it seems to have no set though. Oh wait. You put it upside down so it looked reflexed haha
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:23:48 am by loon »

Offline FilipT

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2016, 03:14:57 am »
Right limb does not bend at all

Offline Ippus

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2016, 09:12:10 am »
that right limb is doing most of the work at that hinge, you need to stay 8" away from it and get the rest of the limb working. Use the straight edge get both limbs bending better and don't pull it past 18" till it is right, you will be surprised how little weight you will lose. Once you see a problem never go past that draw length till it is corrected
Thanks, bubby. That's the part I should have remembered... Probably why it has as much set as it does already.

Offline bubby

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2016, 11:41:25 am »
Don't worry you will get it, i have seen many bows from guys that have built some that were way worse😉

Offline Ippus

« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2016, 08:22:22 pm »
Well, I had time to work on the tiller more today. Looks like that left limb is now bending pretty evenly, and the hinge I was seeing on the right isn't so pronounced, but the outer right limb is still a bit stiff.

Offline bubby

« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2016, 08:50:20 pm »
Yes the right limb needs some work mid out

Offline loon

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2016, 05:48:12 am »
The left limb looks good! To me..

Offline bubby

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2016, 11:19:32 am »
The left does look good just work the right

Offline Ippus

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2016, 03:07:21 pm »
Thanks, y'all!

Offline Ippus

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2016, 08:35:20 pm »
Got it bending evenly, although it might need a little fine-tuning. I had to stop to clean up for dinner, but I'm hesitant to take off any more; it's was bending evenly enough that I went ahead and pulled it to 25, then 28, then 30. Still looked even (I'll try and get another shot later), but it's only pulling about 28# at 30 in, which undershoots the goal a bit.

On the plus side, I could shoot it all day without getting tired, and I managed to get it to full draw without it breaking. No sign of trouble with the handle/fades, either.

'bout an inch of set, though, when I first unstring it.

Offline bubby

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2016, 08:38:42 pm »
That is much better man, good job