Author Topic: some advice on knots  (Read 7169 times)

Ruddy Darter

Re: some advice on knots
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 01:38:16 pm »
 :D thanks JW_, yep just doing a bit at a time with no rush to keep it pleasurable. I'm really happy I read up on the internet about tuning spokeshaves, I got a Irwin record flat bottom that was a bit rough and a Stanley round bottom that I gave up on using. I did all that was recommended, cleaning out the factory paint from the bed and clamp with a chisel, filing around the jaw, and getting the bottom flat and smooth like a mirror etc...now they are a dream to use and cut like a knife through butter...I much prefer shavings to dust, nowt wrong with with a little man glitter though. :D

R.D.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 04:01:30 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »
I picked up a fine spokeshave from Lee Valley Tools, a Veritas flat bottom spokeshave.  I had tuned half a dozen Stanleys by that time, their toolbed is horrid, the rest of the quality control all but nonexistent.  I was expecting a little work on the Veritas, but was happily mistaken!  I did open the throat a little to take thicker curls when I am setting the D2 tool steel blade deeper, though. 

I think many people that dislike spokeshaves have mainly had to deal with a poor tool.  Making sure the cutting blade is wedded flawlessly to the tool bed eliminates a lot of chatter. Dead flat sole with relief at the toe and heel also contributes to a smooth pull.  And then you gotta beat it into people's heads that the bevel faces DOWN to give you a good sharp angle to the cut!!!  Never mind how you gotta keep the blade razor sharp! 

I know, I know, it is a poor workman that blames the tool.  But how many violin makers use a sharp edged rock and another rock to build violins, huh? 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 06:06:35 pm »
Those Veritas have got some great reviews I see and they look the business, but a little pricey for me for the little I'm doing at the moment,  I may invest in one or two when I can find a source for bow wood (yew,wychelm, elm ,good European ash kinda woods if anyone can help :D). I am very happy to have got the spokeshaves I have working nice now after some tinkering, the Stanley round bottom would just clog and chatter straight away no matter what I did until I  gave it some attention and filed the bottom of the front plate down, not a  problem at all now and they have become my favourite tools instead of being a headache. Happy days  :).
(I did read that Veritas make a blade that fits in Stanleys and was recommended, might look into that.)
 R.D.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 06:13:42 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 06:25:11 pm »
I was afraid the spendy Veritas would end up like so many Stanley's....falling to the floor and breaking.  So far, so good.  And not just because I am more careful with it, but it seems to be from a better grade of cast iron as well!  I consider it well worth the money.  Besides...it's pretty.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 06:26:16 pm »
I've got about 3 more elm staves than I'm likely to use in the next five years if you can get to Warwickshire, and I can show you plenty of straight elder and hawthorn too...

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 06:42:27 pm »
Thanks Lucasade, that sounds great 8).  I'm a little stuck for wheels at present but if I can sort something out I'll be in contact, many thanks again.

R.D.

Offline Lucasade

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2016, 03:40:49 am »
No worries - just let me know.