Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 50397 times)

Offline DV IN MN

Re: From the stand
« Reply #105 on: October 28, 2016, 02:51:07 pm »
Pappy no that was 3 years ago. If I can reduce the size of my pic from 2 years ago I will post it. Last year was a blank for the first time since 2001. Last night though I went out and grabbed a stand to take with me no deer but this is what I fond.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2016, 07:27:04 am »
Haven't had much chance to get out since I got my 4 point. It rained Thursday night and I snuck out Friday morning for a couple hours. Just before dawn I thought I saw a pair of coyotes cross my field but it was still quite dark wasn't sure just looked like the way coyotes move. About an hour later I saw one hunting along the ditch but lost track of him in the cover.  About 30 minutes later I watched one cross my farm at a angle. He got about 75 yards and could tell he got a wiff of me, stopped looked around then kept going to the woods. About 5 minutes later I saw the 2nd one coming this one was a big fluffy one. It got about 45 yards when it winded me and turned tail. It was a light and variable wind wish it had been out of east at the time I'm sure they would have hunted fence row I was in would have loved to shot one of them. I did see a few deer but the coyotes had them on edge. Maybe another day.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DV IN MN

« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2016, 10:17:52 pm »
Some stand observations this weekend. Was very warm in IL. Some activity is starting. Saw a couple of does and a nice 2 1/2 yr old on Sunday morning. Will be going back in 2 weeks for a week so passed. He was bird dogging like young ones do. Scrapes in same areas as usual are opened. The buck was seen on Sunday when north wind and cooled down. Was lucky enough to kill about 25 wasp in the camper while waiting for the evening hunt on Saturday. Wish I knew where they were coming from. Makes you take a nap with one eye open. But as the buzz close to your head you seem to wake up.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2016, 07:31:06 pm »
Look out DV IN MN.Those wasps are nasty fellas.Maybe a bug bomb might get em.....lol.Or sleep with a fly swatter on your chest....lol.
Been in the stands pretty steady every day here.Seeing does and yearlings yet.I've got to watch my P'S & Q'S here so as to not spook these deer because of the small hunting area I'm in.Once they know your in an area they get pretty wary here anyway.I'm watching a few that go by one of my stands every morning at around 8:30 to 9:00.Their creatures of habit around here.Might get a shot there.
I just used some rawhide on a bow here from a yearling shot back in 2013.Looks like I'll need to resupply my materials here with another yearling for more rawhide.Plus the other benefits yearlings give a person.If that's all I'm gonna get a shot at anyway.You never know though.The season is far from over yet here.Unseasonably warm again too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #109 on: November 04, 2016, 10:55:16 am »
Lots better activity here the last week or so.Very nice 8 point buck around 50 yards away yesterday.Very swelled up neck and a huge body.Fun watching but sure would of liked a shot.
BowEd
Ed

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #110 on: November 04, 2016, 07:15:33 pm »
I sure hope you get a good shot at him to Ed. We got rained out the other night so I snuck out for a little while yesterday morning. I just went out in corn field by my Dads. I saw a buck when I got back to my spot about 50 yards away. It was to dark to see him good but I could see he was a decent buck. I never got a shot at him. I had a yearling walk right up the rows I was standing in till she was less than 10 yards. Then she noticed me and did the head bob foot stump routine. Eventually she turned tail and scooted away. A lot of nice bucks taken in my neighborhood last week, the 9 point that was standing under my tree stand opening day one of my neighbors got last Sunday. Here's a couple pictures. Good luck everyone
Bjrogg

Offline helmet

« Reply #111 on: November 05, 2016, 12:56:28 am »
Beautiful!

Stringman

« Reply #112 on: November 05, 2016, 07:12:44 pm »
Had a nice sit yesterday afternoon. Snuck into a new spot about 3:20 and settled in for the afternoon. Never was fully comfortable with the set, but didn't want to change after gettin setup, so I just endured it.

Wasn't long till a lone doe wandered through and bedded above me about 40 yds. This time a year it's nice to have live decoys, so I just watched and waited. As it turns out a small fork bumped her and she left. He left shortly after, and no shots granted. With the witching hour upon me I was not shocked to hear and then see another little guy come from behind me. He had wandered through the cow pasture, jumped the fence and was crossing the creek before I started feeling my nerves get taught. It took very little encouragement for him to walk straight to me and before I realized it I had dropped the string on him at 8 yds. And missed high. Not a total miss. I creased him. He didn't feel it nor hear it, so I was able to turn him and shortly he was walking back by on the other side and gave me a 15 yd shot.

Praying the arrow hit the mark I was looking at, I came to full draw and held for a long second, then dropped it again. Gone in a flash and down in seconds. Stone head drove through shoulder blade and took out lungs which gave the guy no chance. He made it 50 yds and never got up again.

It's been a couple years since I put it all together, so you gotta know I was thankful for this one.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: November 05, 2016, 07:58:58 pm »
 8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #114 on: November 05, 2016, 09:48:27 pm »
That's great Scott, way to hold it all together. Glad it all worked out for you.
Bjrogg

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #115 on: November 05, 2016, 09:54:09 pm »
Great job Scott!  Those stone points are definitely lethal.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #116 on: November 05, 2016, 09:57:18 pm »
My wife sent me these pictures she took out the back door yesterday.

And today I'm at work and my son sends me these pictures of a buck crossing the road onto our property.  Plus my Dad was texting me updates from the stand all day.  The bucks are running wild right now. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #117 on: November 06, 2016, 09:44:37 am »
Congratulations Scott.Great story and an exciting hunt.A miss and a hit....You lucky dog!!!!Way to stick it out.Those close ones' are just too easy for ya.....lol.Primitive all the way!!!!
Nice pics OO.That's about the size I was looking at yesterday here with this story.
The bucks are finally  going nuts here too like OO says.Chasing and grunting all over.A blast to watch!!!Got at least two big bodied 3 year old 8 points getting close to the danger zones with me here.Passed on a doe and her yearlings under my stand for an hour or so yesterday.
No pics but I'll try to describe what went on here now.I got into the stand with 2 yearlings looking at me 40 yards away.I was'nt moving to another stand so I climbed up.They eventually both just went and layed down right where they got up from.They really have no reason to be afraid of man yet.I figured their mom set them there to wait for her.An 8 point comes by to check them out and leaves.Does'nt offer me a shot.A different 8 point chases an old doe out a block or so in front of me over a hill.
Eventually the mom comes by to pick up the yearlings.They circle around and begin to feed on hedge balls and browse right beneath my stand.Like Scott figured too nothing better than a live decoy I passed on these deer.All this commotion happened I'd say in a period of 2 hours I'd say.This nice weather is a blessing now.I just could'nt shoot at any of those three yesterday with the way things are gong on here now.I'm gonna pick and choose my shot here and live with the consequences.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #118 on: November 06, 2016, 09:57:22 am »
Scott...I'm not a user of those kind of quivers but that looks pretty cool.A copperhead skinned one on an osage bow.
BowEd
Ed

Stringman

« Reply #119 on: November 06, 2016, 11:22:26 am »
Thanks Ed. This time of year is pure magic and the more you can be out the better! Love watching the woods when anything could happen!