Author Topic: From the stand  (Read 49596 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: From the stand
« Reply #60 on: October 10, 2016, 11:16:20 am »
Never seen the difference in a buck in rut or doe, as others I process my own meat and take real care to keep it clean and clean up very good when I cut it or grind it up, don't get quite as much meat but it's all prime stuff when I am done. This was 3 deer, minus the shoulders and inner loin and 2 back straps, about 80 to 90 lbs. but all prime meat. Screwed up a shot on one Saturday morning, hit high in the back, I am sure it will be fine, maybe just sore and a little more careful :) That was the only time I went out. Beautiful morning , just a little windy. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2016, 11:41:06 am »
Yes I always age the meat hanging a few days.Gotta watch too warm of weather though.
Man at least you've gotten a shot Pearly.I always have to go to a different spot when I do that.It seems to upset the area or something.You should get another shot.
Ohhh boy now we're showing our meat.Looks good Pappy.You wrap it up though right?I 've had a food saver a while but if I eat it fast enough I usually only used regular butcher paper.
Pateince,patience,patience with this hunting.I keep thinking about the hide to brain tan too along with the meat.....lol.I'm thinking first anything coming by it gets stuck.The weather is gonna get a bit colder this weekend.Hope it just don't turn over to full blown winter.Looking at last years calendar things temp wise are about like last year.So far I could of just shot a few possum that's all.....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2016, 12:42:10 pm »
Pearl,, that 10 yard shot is a killer,, I try to practice it alot,, and tell my self to slow down when I get one,, to easy just to throw up and shoot,, been there done than more times than I would like to admit,, :)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #63 on: October 10, 2016, 01:50:28 pm »
Its kinda' like what George says about building bows, if you aint missin you aint huntin! I will say I don't miss many, especially chip shots. But I did. I was more than happy when I seen how far my bow drove the arrow into the ground, at least 10-12" worth. Good dirt penetration :) To cap off my night, I dropped another arrow and dulled it. So I will have some sharpening to do tonite. Ah the joys of bow hunting, love it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2016, 03:57:16 am »
Ya we use butcher paper also Beadman, Miss Joanie wraps it very nice and have no problem if I have some left over for a year or 2. Ate some last night from 14, it was just fine.  :) Sometimes it don't get brought to the front when putting in new meat and have had some 3 or 4 years old found and it was fine also. Pearl it happens, probably missed 20 or 30 over the years at less than 10 yards. ??? Still I love that shot. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2016, 06:49:00 pm »
Weather bug radar is a big fat liar.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2016, 06:55:28 pm »
I love how they give you a 15 day forcast and they can't even get a one day right. I just haven't had a chance to get back in my stand. Did get a few practice shots in this morning
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2016, 08:50:05 pm »
The radar wasn't showing much but I sat in rain most of the evening.  I got soaked and didn't wear enough clothes. I was having full body shivers before I got down. I saw a doe and 2 fawns walk by. Later a spike walked up and sniffed the ladder and then walk between it and the tree.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2016, 09:15:53 pm »
I am seeing more deer.I'm afraid it's gonna just switch right over to winter if I don't watch it....lol.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2016, 09:44:27 pm »
Man, I'm ready to go hunting, you guys are killing me. Guess I'll throw the kayak in the water this weekend and try to catch some Specs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2016, 10:47:12 pm »
It's almost prime time here Mullet.  Swollen necks, scrapes, sparring, it's heating up.

Stringman

« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2016, 10:57:51 pm »
Finally got some good hunting time in today. Sat this morning and had an owl land in the tree above me. Other than a possum and some squirrel nothing was moving.

This afternoon I got back out and since the wind was up I snuck down into the ditch and got out of most of it. Ended up seeing 4 does and then just before dark had a little 6pt work toward me. He made a scrape and came on through right at dark.

Sure is nice when you're seeing something.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2016, 11:50:36 pm »
That's a good looking spot Scott.  This evening right before dark I had an owl about the same size as yours swoop down and land 20 yards in front of me for just a few seconds.  They make absolutely no sound when they fly. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2016, 04:56:36 am »
Good looking spot Scott and set up, ? Scott you have any trouble with the strap on quiver on your self bow, I had one of my bows tuned and ready to go, arrows shooting like darts, I thought OK everything is good all I need to do is put the quiver on and it's ready to hunt. I strapped it on and thought I would shoot just a couple of arrows to see how the different weight felt. Man the arrows flew awful, couldn't hit anything. Took the quiver off and WA LA it flew prefect again. So I turned all my strap on's into Asbell style side quivers , just curious if anyone else had that trouble. :-\ :-\ Clint, no shot at the spike or just waiting on big daddy ? The weather has cooled here today and I am looking forward t getting out this weekend, we didn't get the much needed rain but at least it has cooled up. ;) White oak acorns have finely dropped, really late this year for some reason and the beans have been cut so the deer should be in the woods feeding hard and heavy, we will see. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #74 on: October 21, 2016, 07:14:45 am »
Pappy, I was hoping that crooked racked deer would walk by.