Author Topic: Artificial Sinew  (Read 10682 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Artificial Sinew
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:50 pm »
When I said " used properly" JW's description was right on.  Thinning the strands is the way to go. the thinner the better......and don't use it on the point end of the arrow as Pearl said it will fray in no time.......the super glue actually melts the wax and does a good job..... I cut 5 minute epoxy with acetone and make a final coat with that for an armor finish especially on point wraps.... 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline CavemanRob

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2016, 12:00:35 pm »
I don't shoot as much as Pearl drums, or I loose an arrow before the art. sinew frays badly enough to warrant a replacement.  it is really REALLY hard to get a thin enough piece to do the fletching wrap though, Ill admit that.  I think Ill try some braided fishing line for the fletching wrap on my next few arrows.  I have only used glue-on points, so I can't speak to the fraying on a point end, but I imagine it would get really nasty really quickly there. 
-Rob
"nobody owns you, nobody owes you"

Offline loon

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2016, 03:18:10 pm »
Polyester thread should be ok?..
Or linen? :p
What would be some good, strong silk that isn't too expensive?..

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2016, 03:26:54 pm »
Try some outdoor UV resistant thread.  It is very strong and small diameter.  Perfect for wrapping arrows.  My local walmart used to carry it but they stopped.  I just ordered a giant spool off ebay for $7.  It will last me 20 years.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline loon

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2016, 03:38:17 pm »
Try some outdoor UV resistant thread.  It is very strong and small diameter.  Perfect for wrapping arrows.  My local walmart used to carry it but they stopped.  I just ordered a giant spool off ebay for $7.  It will last me 20 years.
if it is polyester, maybe it could make bowstrings...?

Offline Ippus

« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 04:53:06 pm »
For that matter, why not just use single-strand b50 Dacron or fastflight or something? Or is that not cost-effective or something?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 05:16:11 pm »
The thread that I use is smaller diameter than bow string material. 

Here is the thread that I use.  I coat it 2x with superglue.  This picture was taken before I applied the superglue.  The arrow on the far left went through a rib, lung, and heart of a buck.  The wrapping looked the same after the shot.

Same thread on nock end of different arrows.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 05:41:55 pm »
For that matter, why not just use single-strand b50 Dacron or fastflight or something? Or is that not cost-effective or something?

That is a rounder cross section material and will stand up a good bit more proud of the arrow shaft.  It's gonna scratch shooting off knuckle and if shooting off shelf, it's gonna kick the shaft up a little bit as it passes. Thinner material like sinew, thinned down artificial sinew, or a single layer of sewing thread is much better. 

I have also used sewing thread, but quickly learned to wipe multiple layers of wood glue or some such to smooth it out.  Otherwise it can be a little scratchy, too.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline loon

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 08:23:07 pm »
yeah... braided is better for wrapping stuff (and serving) in general, I think..
Woah that thread actually looks really nice osage outlaw. Maybe I'll get some ... ... interesting to see the stone points hafted with it too. nice shaft paint for visibility

Offline Ippus

« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2016, 01:09:35 am »
You mention superglue... How do you apply that without gluing yourself to everything?
"There is nothing quite so gentle, deep, and irrational as our running — and nothing quite so savage and so wild.” Bernd Heinrich

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 07:50:32 am »
I put a few drops around the wrap and then take my finger and smooth it out while spinning the arrow.  I wear a latex glove while doing this. 

Offline loon

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 08:36:22 am »
got some loctite 480 on my fingers, hopefully acetone will dissolve it. should get latex gloves..

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 08:44:57 am »
I've put a zip loc bag or a plastic shopping bag over my finger to smooth the superglue.  That worked just as well.

Offline loon

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2016, 10:07:51 am »
So the thread you use is not braided? "High Tenacity outdoor" UV resistant? 1000 yard?

May just bite the bullet..

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2016, 01:35:07 pm »
I think it's braided.  Here is the big spool I just bought.  I was getting small spools at walmart.  The big spool is a much better value.  It will last me for years and years.