Author Topic: When dose the cambium stop slipping?  (Read 6025 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
When dose the cambium stop slipping?
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:36:05 pm »
I know that white woods slip their cambium when in growing season. When does it change to winter mode? If tree still had leaves but they have changed colors will cambium still slip? Thanks
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

Re: When dose the cambium stop slipping?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 03:09:49 pm »
I cut a hickory in early October when it still had leaves.  The bark was stuck tight.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 03:15:25 pm »
bjrogg.....It's about the sap flow.I'm sure you realize that but if the leaves are turning I'm afraid the sap flow may have stopped but will be in a kinda inbetween stage if you know what I mean if caught at the right time.Any later and it'll get tight like OO said.Just like the row crop beans leaves turning the growing has stopped and drying has begun.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Orrum

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 03:23:37 pm »
Well that settles it. It's too late for me to cut a tree and split my first self bow stave then. That makes this a 2 year project, one to wait til next summer to harvest and one to wait for drying. Patience....
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 03:29:40 pm »
No not at all.It can be draw knifed off Orrum.
BowEd
Ed

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 03:36:02 pm »
Well that settles it. It's too late for me to cut a tree and split my first self bow stave then. That makes this a 2 year project, one to wait til next summer to harvest and one to wait for drying. Patience....

Not at all.  Sap starts rising in the spring and really early for some trees. It also doesn't take a year to dry wood.

Plus people use winter cut wood all the time and remove the cambium with elbow grease and a few other options(steam, water etc.)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 03:41:23 pm »
I wont muscle it off. If I cant cut when it slips off I don't cut. Elbow grease doesn't always work. More often than not you will nick the back no matter how hard you try not to, too many ridges and humps and bumps to deal with and not nick. But, I'm loaded with staves and am not "desperate" like you are, so its easy to say wait.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 03:45:09 pm »
There's always the put it in the shower routine which I've never done but I bet it works.
BowEd
Ed

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 03:49:24 pm »
Do you have to strip the bark? I tend to leave the bark on for drying and then drawknife it off but many let it ping off during tiller, or even oil the bark and try to keep it on permanently

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 04:02:36 pm »
If you are eager to get some staves go ahead and cut them now.  It will take more work to get a clean back.  I've removed stuck bark and cambium on hickory, hackberry, and HHB.  I used a draw knife, a scraper, patience, and time.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline FilipT

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 04:16:24 pm »
End of august here in Croatia

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 04:51:04 pm »
Thanks guys that was how I thought it worked. Orrum you can cut anytime but during growing season the bark and cambium slip off exposing a perfect single growth ring. This does make back of bow much better and easier but you can take it down to 1st ring even leave a small amount of cambium. My 1st HHB bow I cut February 27 2016 I took it to 1st ring and roughed to heavy  floor tiler let dry.  I used it for hunting this fall. Sometimes there's the best way to do it and sometimes there's the quickest way that still works. I wanted to learn and didn't want to wait for perfect especially knowing I may break it anyhow. lol. I'd cut some if you had the chance it's just wood. Get. Some drying start the learning process. Next step perfection.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 05:04:04 pm »
HHB is still really easy to remove the bark from in the fall. It may not slip but it's still very moist and can be spooned off out of all the ridges and valleys.

Offline Orrum

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2016, 06:33:21 pm »
So if I cut it in the spring when the leaves are first out will the bark slip correctly?
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2016, 07:01:53 pm »
 Around that time but it varies a bit. Generally the beginning or the end of the growing season is considered ideal for having a full growth ring.