Author Topic: When dose the cambium stop slipping?  (Read 5901 times)

Offline Orrum

Re: When dose the cambium stop slipping?
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2016, 07:16:32 pm »
So the neighbor is sawing up hurricane trees for firewood. I just got a 6 inch thick 8 feet long perfectly straight white oak. Should I just try to split it in half? Could someone point me at a youtube of how to split this stuff, peel it and whatever needs doing?
Knapping....If your hobby does not consume you then you have no hobby.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2016, 08:17:32 pm »
Orrum, white ash splits easy. As soon as you can take a couple wedges and a sledgehammer. Start at one end put wedge in center hammer it into end of log like you where splitting firewood. Next put the second wedge into crack that opens on side and hammer it into side. This should loosen 1st wedge so you can continue down the split. Keep doing this till you get to the end.  If you have knots you can try to split it so you get least amount of knot to get a good stave. You might be able to get another split maybe get 4 staves if it's good enough. Then if the bark and cambium will slip try to get them off right away. Next paint or seal ends and back to prevent further splitting (checks). Then put in a dry ventilated area you could even rough out your bow and tiler to a heavy floor tiller to speed up the drying process.
    One question before you start. Does the tree have emerald ash bore? All the ash around here are to damaged from ash bore to be bow wood any more. My 1st bow I made was white ash, there are better woods but it made a good bow and is still shooting after many thousands of arrows but is mostly retired now
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Orrum

« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2016, 08:21:56 pm »
Bjrogg it's white oak. I assume the method is the same. It's been cut down for about 5 dsys.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2016, 08:42:04 pm »
Sorry Orrum I see that now, read that wrong. I haven't used white oak but should be the same. Not sure how easy it splits but think it should split good. Sometimes I help keep back from tearing by using saws all in between where I put my wedges.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 11:26:35 pm »
You are welcome. Yes, same thing applies with white oak. Seal the ends, split into staves, take off the bark and maybe seal the back after sanding and staining.

There is one other thing. You can actually then begin to floor tiller the stave getting the limbs to bend an inch or 2. That way she'll dry up faster.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2016, 01:53:29 am »
The wood is dormant in the winter so that growth ring just sits there already mature.
from south florida.... what is this "winter" thing you speak of? ;D :P
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline Orrum

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2016, 08:17:19 am »
Thanx George. I am going to accumulate as many staves as possible from all this huricane wood. I don't know how to make bows but I will have lots of staves to try!!!   When I started knapping  having plenty of material was dificult! 

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2016, 10:40:57 pm »
Welcome, Orrum. White oak is a very tough wood. It is practically bullet proof.
I once saw a Native American white oak bow in a museum. I think it was in Montreal but U can't remember.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 08:07:12 am »
A trick I just thought up 3 weeks ago and works really well, so far, remove the bark and spread fat, or mink oil anything oily really and let it soak while drying then you can just scrape it off with a butter knife. So far the cabium has come right off.