Author Topic: Bareshaft testing and nock height - need input  (Read 13671 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Bareshaft testing and nock height - need input
« on: October 19, 2016, 09:35:08 pm »
Ok fellas, need input, please.

Recently finished a bow and am in process of making some arrows for it.
Set nock height at 3/8". Bareshaft is flying straight, but significantly nock high.
Set nock height at 1/4". Bareshaft indicating weak spine, but nock is level.

When bareshaft testing, should I pay any attention to nock high/level/low?
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 08:39:13 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Bareshaft testing and nock height - need input
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 10:09:49 pm »
Mike.....my experience is to have the nock a little high, pay more attention to the nock right or left.  I have found that when the nock is a bit high and straight ...no left or right... I fletch the arrow and it will fly like a dart....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 10:26:29 pm »
Will put some feathers on it and see what it does.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 07:36:24 am »
I agree with Bill, left to right is far more important.   But if you say that the nock is significantly high, then you need to make adjustments to lower that nock.  If that arrows is telling you that it is too weak at that point, then try trimming a half inch or so off the point end, or find a lighter point.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 08:30:37 am »
I've never really been that convinced of the value of bare shaft testing.
Do you check out the handling of your car by trying it without the tyres? ::)  >:D
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 09:34:30 am »
I also look at left and right, they usually hit knock high, now if it is really bad knock I may adjust it a bit but just a little I go with that. We're not talking about cars Del, we are talking about arrows, now an air plans with out wings might be another matter. ;) ;D ;D ;D
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2016, 10:02:45 am »
And it's spelled tires Del.   ;)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 10:09:53 am »
Do you check out the handling of your car by trying it without the tyres? ::)  >:D
Del

To adapt that analogy a little, I would think of bare shaft testing more like balancing your tires, yes it's possible to test the tires on the car, but you would only find big obvious problems, whereas if you test the tire on a balancing machine it's much easier to detect smaller issues.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2016, 10:45:05 am »
Del

To adapt that analogy a little, I would think of bare shaft testing more like balancing your tires, yes it's possible to test the tires on the car, but you would only find big obvious problems, whereas if you test the tire on a balancing machine it's much easier to detect smaller issues.
Yeah, but I've never seen tires balanced on a machine! Only the wheel and tyre assembled together and that's my point.
... forget I ever mentioned it... ::) (wanders off in search of a cup of tea, seein as how you're all gangin' up on me  ;) "Tires" indeed... never heard of such a thing ::))
Del
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:52:01 am by Del the cat »

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 11:03:11 am »
And it's spelled tires Del.   ;)

I think we may be forgetting that we speak "English". Del would be the one who IS English! >:D
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:27:59 am »
I'm surprised Del...If you want to flight shoot you gotta get those arrows to fly right for distance.Same way with the arrow sticking into the target.Straight line is the best for the best penetration.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 11:49:35 am »
I'm surprised Del...If you want to flight shoot you gotta get those arrows to fly right for distance.Same way with the arrow sticking into the target.Straight line is the best for the best penetration.
Yeah I know that. This isn't the flight shooting forum.
I thought this was Hunting... I'd have thought a broadhead would have a big influence on the flight of an arrow and that the fletchings were an essential integral part of the arrow.
Mind I don't actually hunt (not allowed in UK) I don't shoot broadheads. So I'll fess up.... I don't know what I'm talking about, so I won't say any more on this topic.  :-[
Del
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 12:23:38 pm by Del the cat »

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 12:09:13 pm »
Well believe it and I do or not there is an overlapping gray area between flight shooting and hunting when it comes to arrow flight.The best flying arrows should be used for hunting as well as flight shooting.Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 12:24:42 pm »
Well believe it and I do or not there is an overlapping gray area between flight shooting and hunting when it comes to arrow flight.The best flying arrows should be used for hunting as well as flight shooting.Sorry to ruffle your feathers.
My feathers are fine ta' we all need a slap down now and again to stop us talking BS or getting our heads wedged up our backsides..
No prob'  :)
Del

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 12:32:26 pm »
Del, I hunt and hunt only. Never bare shaft tuned a bow. I grab 29" long 45-50 and 50-55 arrows I have around, one or the other always fly great from 45-55 bows. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.