Author Topic: Help with youth bow design  (Read 4402 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Help with youth bow design
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 03:22:38 am »
How to teach them how to shoot? Which eye? What handed? Just let him pick it up and pull. He will do it right for him :)
I made a pair of bows for my friends twin daughters when they were 9. One of the most statisfying things I ever did. One of them is a pure number crunching mathematic genius now and other is a proper tom boy...nature versus nurture...I've since made the tom boy one another bow, osage and it pulls 43#@26. She shoots it like a boss!
Anything that gets children interested in proper things is to be commended.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2016, 10:57:29 am »
The last kids bow I made was the one on the auction table at mojam.  I think it was 52 inch bendy handle. 25@24.

If that bow had been couple lbs heavier it would have gone home with me and gifted to one of the neighbor boys whose parents have been looking for just such a  stick.
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Badger

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2016, 11:33:16 am »
  A few years ago i was at the classic and this boy about 10 asked me if I would help him finish his bow. He only had 15 min before he ran out of time to shoot. He had a huge hinge in one limb and the bow was already so light it doubt it would even scale. I ended up scraping in a matching hinge on the other side and dropping the bow down to about 10# at his draw weight before he could draw the bow.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 05:26:42 pm »
The last kids bow I made was the one on the auction table at mojam.  I think it was 52 inch bendy handle. 25@24.

If that bow had been couple lbs heavier it would have gone home with me and gifted to one of the neighbor boys whose parents have been looking for just such a  stick.

Thanks Mike,  I do have to say that little bow sure turned out nice. 

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 06:11:37 pm »
Just making a bow long enough to pike it every once in a while should work too to keep up with the childs strength increases.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 06:25:40 pm »
Just making a bow long enough to pike it every once in a while should work too to keep up with the childs strength increases.

Ed in my opinion you build it a little long with a low draw weight like15# at 20" but tiller it outto 26" as the youth grows his draw length increases and so does the draw weight
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 06:43:21 pm »
Sure that'll work too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed