Author Topic: Tanned Critters  (Read 31248 times)

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

Tanned Critters
« on: November 10, 2016, 08:34:45 pm »
Just a few of my critters I've tanned. Let's see what kinda critters you fellas got tanned.

Offline sleek

Re: Tanned Critters
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 08:41:54 pm »
Nice little collection! I tanned one deer, and half way done on a bison. Looking forward to getting home to finishing him.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 08:46:26 pm »
Nice bunch of Skins Paul.....otter, beaver, coyote, bobcat......real cool
do you trap?  how do you get all of these skins?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Zuma

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 08:48:23 pm »
Nice batch of critters Gutshot :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2016, 08:19:49 am »
Nice bunch of Skins Paul.....otter, beaver, coyote, bobcat......real cool
do you trap?  how do you get all of these skins?
DBar

Otter and beaver where trapped
Yote was a rifle kill
Bobcat was a shotgun kill
Grey fox was a bow kill
Mink was a road kill

I'm not a trapper would love to be but my job requirements are to many hrs and days worked. We have abundance of critters just got to get out there and get them. I just take them only to help out the quail and rabbit and fish populations

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2016, 11:33:50 am »
So many possibilities with all those skins. Every time I get a furry creature, they wife wants it for decoration. I try to make my critters into something. I bark tanned my elk hide and made a quiver, and ugly one, but a quiver none the less. The beaver pelt is trim on the top. The Muskrats pelts are fur silencers. Deer hide is going to be my wife's quiver. I can't get out an trap
Enough to get enough hides for all the projects I have planned.
What do you all do with your hides?

Eric
Eric

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2016, 12:20:19 pm »
This is my only tanning experience.  A fawn hide and 2 chipmunks.  I was happy with how they turned out.  I've got a bobcat and my first selfbow deer hide in the freezer.  I want to tan them this winter. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 01:38:44 pm »
So many possibilities with all those skins. Every time I get a furry creature, they wife wants it for decoration. I try to make my critters into something. I bark tanned my elk hide and made a quiver, and ugly one, but a quiver none the less. The beaver pelt is trim on the top. The Muskrats pelts are fur silencers. Deer hide is going to be my wife's quiver. I can't get out an trap
Enough to get enough hides for all the projects I have planned.
What do you all do with your hides?

Eric
[/quote

I like to scare kids and adults with them when there at my house😆 Trade them and make stuff too

Offline selfbow joe

• 1-812-344-1590
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 07:25:51 pm »
I haven't tanned anything yet.but going to this winter. I do trap a little bit and have a big coon hide and some deer hides in the freezer so far . with fur prices are very low I thought I could try to make some things this year.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 04:05:26 am »
I fleshed out a grey fox many years ago. I tacked it to a board and put 20 mule team borax on it to dry it out and keep the bugs away. I shot it in 2005 and it still looks good. I will post a pic today, if I remember. I don't know what you call that but that is what I did to it.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 04:17:58 pm »
Cool fellas....Like the pics and hobby.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 08:40:31 pm »
Clint, are you gonna make a new Speedo for yourself with the chipmunk hides?   ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 08:46:34 pm »
Clint....I did a slunk fawn hide once from a rode killed doe.It's fur was like mole hair.Smooth as silk.I was very proud of it.Took it to rendezvous and they called me fawn killer....ha ha ha.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 08:47:56 pm »
Clint, are you gonna make a new Speedo for yourself with the chipmunk hides?   ;D

No Pat, I'm using a possum hide for that project.  I was wanting to use them on a handle wrap but they aren't big enough.  I might stitch them together and see if that works. 

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 08:51:29 pm »
Clint....I did a slunk fawn hide once from a rode killed doe.It's fur was like mole hair.Smooth as silk.I was very proud of it.Took it to rendezvous and they called me fawn killer....ha ha ha.

That fawn was killed by a jerk kid with a modern bow.  He gave me the hide in a 1 gallon zip loc bag.  There was room for 2 more hides.  I made a few hip quivers out of it.  I will be watching the roads for dead fawns this spring.