Author Topic: Tanned Critters  (Read 31266 times)

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Tanned Critters
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2016, 09:44:23 pm »
Zuma actually I have never trapped a fox. When I use to land trap it was mostly raccoons. I actually really enjoy hunting them. They are my very favorite animal and I very much enjoy watching them and respect them a great deal. The coyotes where really hard on them when they 1st showed up but they seem to have figured out how to avoid the coyotes and numbers are really good here again.
Bjrogg
Feel free to PM me though I might be able to help you out a bit.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2016, 06:46:36 pm »
Zuma a stove pipe buried at a 45 degree angle into a bank around a creek with some bait at the bottom will get a fox 90% of the time. Worse thing is there alive in there they can't back out so you have to be creative on putting them down.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2016, 07:00:39 pm »
Thanks BJ

Thanks Gutshot
That's a method I never heard of. Interesting.
No leg hold or snare? The pipe is the trap?
What diameter pipe?
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2016, 09:03:48 pm »
8" if you can find it

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2016, 01:56:01 pm »
I skinned a coyote this morning.  I'm not very good at detailed skinning.  I think I did OK on it.  I put it in the freezer for now.  I plan on doing some hide tanning this winter sometime.  That road dog was an old one.  His canines were all worn down and one was missing.  He had tumors growing on him also.  He was still healthy looking and a good layer of fat going into the winter.  I hope I can do a good job tanning him.  It's a big hide. 

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2016, 02:42:27 pm »
Can't wait to see what u make with him. They make nice quivers
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2016, 05:03:45 pm »
OO, here's a little tip put ya some borax powder in an around the base of the ears. Will keep the hair from slipping and will dry them out . Looks like ya did a real good job on skinning ole stink dog, I like the color. Bob

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2016, 06:21:14 pm »
Nice looking hide Clint.............
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2016, 07:13:40 pm »
Looks good Osage, don't see any big holes around the ears or eyes. I usually don't mind skinning almost anything but as outback said . The coyotes always smell like a wet dog, ours are all knife work. I've seen guys on you tube pull them off like I'd pull a fox off, but our coyotes don't want to give up their fur. and fur slips easy by ears. One big thing is always scrap all the fat off any skin before you dry or tan it. Another tip when you put in freezer put fur out, inside hide folded against inside hide helps stop freezer burn. I'm sure you'll figure it out it's mostly a lot of scraping and then rubbing to break the hide as it finishes tanning. Cant wait to see what new life it lives.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2016, 08:36:03 pm »
Thanks for the tips guys.  I've got a freezer full of hides that need tanning.  I need to either start tanning some of them or get another freezer  ;D

That coyote didn't smell to bad at all.  He had a slight bladder leakage problem once I started pulling on the hide.  I pulled a bunch of big burrs out of the tail fur.  There are more in the rest of the coat.  I'll get those out when I work on tanning it.  What kind of solution do you guys use?  I used this on my fawn hide and it turned out OK.  It was cheap and seemed to work so I'll probably use it again.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »
You bet that stuff will work fine to tan I'm sure but it's got to be fleshed and as much of the mambrane off too.Good score bud.Nice hide and job of skinning him.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2016, 10:00:50 pm »
I'll scrape it clean before I start tanning it.  I got a section of large diameter PVC pipe that I use as a fleshing board. 

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2016, 01:20:15 pm »
Clint all hides that you want to keep the hair on needs pickling this method really sets the hair/fur and keeps it from slipping. I've tanned a lot of critters and the first ones I done slipped the fur around the ears mostly. Once I started pickling no more fur slippage.  Save that yote for when I come up and we will pickle it along with any other hides you got that you want to save the hair on.

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2016, 03:53:33 pm »
No pictures of anything I've got tanned at the moment. Though when I get data back on my phone I can get a few pictures of some stuff. Like my raccon quiver and a couple of others I have laying around.  But I've got a few tanning projects I'm buildings towards. I finally got around to fleshing out a coyote hide I shot the first week of deer season. It's drying on a board at the moment to help the hair set and stay put better. I'm going to turn it into a quiver for my uncle. I also fleshed out a couple of deer hides that I currently have soaking in some wood ashes to make the hair and grain slip. I still haven't decided what I want to do with them yet. I would like some rawhide for backing, but I would also like to tannic acid tan a hide to see how the leather turns out, and I want to brain tan some leather. I might cut out the center strips on the backs and let those dry out for backing strips, while I soften the belly and leg pieces into different types of leather. But doe season is coming up so I should be able to ask around and get some more hides. In addition to having a couple of tags left myself.

I think i may do a little bit of trapping this winter once classes are finally over and see if I can get some materials built up.

Kyle

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2016, 07:17:09 pm »
Clint all hides that you want to keep the hair on needs pickling this method really sets the hair/fur and keeps it from slipping. I've tanned a lot of critters and the first ones I done slipped the fur around the ears mostly. Once I started pickling no more fur slippage.  Save that yote for when I come up and we will pickle it along with any other hides you got that you want to save the hair on.

I've got a freezer full of hides I want to tan with the hair on.  I'll order some tanning solution before you come up.