Author Topic: braided dyneema fishing line  (Read 50440 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
braided dyneema fishing line
« on: November 28, 2016, 02:16:28 pm »
I tried to make a bow string from this because its cheaper than FF, but it keeps stretching...was wondering how this is possible?
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Frodolf

Re: braided dyneema fishing line
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:44:24 pm »
The braid maybe?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 03:36:41 pm »
If a no stretch material is lengthening, its not stretching. Its settling. You might have too many twists in it. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:39:29 pm »
An 1/8# spool of D97 will yield approx. 12-15 60" 10 strand bow strings. That's about $2 each. Unless your getting your fishing line dirt cheap, you probably aren't saving any money using it.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 04:22:50 pm »
your right Pearl...wish I hadnt bothered experimenting, should have stuck with what I know works..for a few extra £'s   getting too old to waste time experimenting...

and yes it must be the braid settling, its the only explanation. ..but I did get it from ebay and it came from China, maybe its fake dyneema
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 06:19:52 pm »
I really like Power-Pro. It certainly doesn't stretch and it holds twisted loops way better than you might assume. Likely because braids produce more friction than straight fibers when wax is added?

Unless you're making a lot of strings the hit you take for a pricey roll of fishing line is likely not a big deal and they last forever being very resistant to abrasion.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2016, 01:15:14 am »
+1 Pat.

I've been using power pro since I started making bows. I was into fishing first so it was an item I keep around anyway. It makes a fantastic string. I haven't tried FF because I saw no need to add to the supplies list.   
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2016, 01:49:51 am »
it could be fake, but you should be able to tell if it comes close to the breaking strength, if so, then maybe not

dyneema and spectra, the two competing fibers, are both supplied to mills which make various different products.

better mills have better treatments and coatings for the base fiber, and better or worse quality control when spinning the fibers into strands and braids. UHMWPE,  (both Spectra and Dyneema) , will exhibit an initial stretching or set, and any braid or lay (twist) will also have a "set" before it settles into the final stiffness. better mills pre-set their pre-spun fibers, and finished braids if the specs call for a non- stretch application. This extra treatment and pre-setting is probably what makes one product more popular than another.

All is not lost if you have a roll of the not so top shelf stuff. Simply spool off what you need for the next string, and one end off to something and tie a handle to grip with on the other end and do your own pre-stretching/setting before making the string. you should be able to feel the "bounce" and be able to work it some in tension, just under the breaking strength, before looping it on your jig. A little destructive testing on sample will tell you if the roll you have is a keeper.

Offline Strichev

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2016, 10:23:27 am »
I bought a 300 m roll of braided fishing line from china for 7 euros. It seems to be holding up to the specifications listed. I also hear some fishermen in Australia use the same Chinese brand for... fishing and don't have problems with it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2016, 10:34:07 am »
Just pulling a single strand tied to something will tell you a lot. The stuff feels like wire, or it should.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2016, 02:43:55 pm »
thanks for the advice and imput...I Tested the breaking strain and it holds up...but still I brace a bow at 5 1/2" and it ends up 4" after half hour,,,,I tried to pre stretch it by hanging my whole body weight off it , but it still will not keep its brace height!!   guess its just a bad product and I should by a known brand next time

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »
Are you waxing it before twisting it up or are you making it endless?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2016, 03:13:53 pm »
Pat..I am making an adjustable flemish twist type string and yes I did wax it...

was also wondering how many strands  would you use to make a 50-60lb bow?

thanks for your help

dave

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 04:15:37 pm »
I decided to make A FF string instead.  I have always used flemish twist double loops with FF or dyneema, In the old days I used adjustable dacron strings, but since using FF I have never made an adjustable, only used double loops (also twisted )....So I just made one and   the adjustable loop is slipping...this must be happening with the braided line adjustable too?

IS FF AND dyneema suitable for adjustable strings, does the knot have a tendency to slip...or am I doing something wrong? cant think what It could be...I know my knot is correct, I've tied it hundreds of times...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 04:39:16 pm »
With FF I would use 8 or 10 strands, whatever you choose will work fine.

Sounds like your timber hitch is slipping, its very common. I know there is a way to prevent it, but I cant remember how as I don't use them. I just keep a bunch of strings on the shop wall and find one that fits.