Author Topic: braided dyneema fishing line  (Read 49914 times)

Offline make-n-break

Re: braided dyneema fishing line
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2016, 07:42:04 pm »
I always had a huge problem with FF and dyneema fishing line slipping with a traditional bowyer's knot. I switched to a "double" variation of the bowyer's knot that I believe is called the Japanese bowyer's knot. It's identical to a traditional bowyer's knot except you wrap it around the main string body twice before wrapping the tag end around itself. Knot number 5 in this photo is what I use, and it will not slip at all. The extra wrap around the main body of the string makes all the difference. Give it a try. Bet it solves your issue.
"When making a bow from board staves you are freeing a thing of dignity from the humiliation of static servitude." -TBB1

Offline loon

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »
That "tsuru" seems to work well for me, even without reverse twisting (just simple twisting) and D-97 and D-10.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2016, 05:00:39 am »
thats weird ,what happened to my thread?....I thought string talk was allowed on the bows page!!!..whats a bow without a string....now half of the info has dissapeared  in the moving.!!

would have thought this was a usefull topic?

thanks make and break for the knot pictures...very useful...looks like it will solve the problem
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2016, 03:35:29 pm »
Having a thread moved into "How to's and build-a-longs" is sort of an honour. Especially into the "Sticky's". It means it is very interesting.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2016, 12:35:25 pm »
yeh, but half of the thread went missing in the move,,,,the most interesting part!!!
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline willie

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2016, 04:04:40 pm »
dragon

I see one of my posts missing. I can repost what I have learned about working with these materials, if it is of interest.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2016, 12:17:51 pm »
Thanks Willie, yes it would be interesting to read

Offline willie

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2016, 03:38:26 pm »
I can't recall much of the deleted post, but some of your slippage problem might be more about the coatings on the fishing line. UHMWPE fibers are very slippery in their raw form, and the mill that spun your fishing line may have treated it to some degree or another with a treatment that makes for good fishing line, ie to cast well, but maybe not the best for splicing.
Even if the line was treated or coated with a different coating more specific to splicing and knot holding, you would likely find that special knots or practices are also recommended to help overcome the inherent slipperiness of UHMWPE.
I would experiment more with your splices, maybe make them longer or maybe even try to sieze the splice with rosin or even try to wash the splice area with solvents to see if you can reduce the slippperiness of the fishline, if it was coated with something not to your liking.

Offline theguywitheyebrows

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2018, 10:15:24 am »
I can't recall much of the deleted post, but some of your slippage problem might be more about the coatings on the fishing line. UHMWPE fibers are very slippery in their raw form, and the mill that spun your fishing line may have treated it to some degree or another with a treatment that makes for good fishing line, ie to cast well, but maybe not the best for splicing.
Even if the line was treated or coated with a different coating more specific to splicing and knot holding, you would likely find that special knots or practices are also recommended to help overcome the inherent slipperiness of UHMWPE.
I would experiment more with your splices, maybe make them longer or maybe even try to sieze the splice with rosin or even try to wash the splice area with solvents to see if you can reduce the slippperiness of the fishline, if it was coated with something not to your liking.

i never thought to wash with solvents for help with slipperiness. i'm a hammock enthusiast, and over at the hammock forums we've [they did it all before me] deduced over time that, with the exception of a few specialized ones, knots just don't hold well in the dyneema braids we often use: Zing-it\Lash-it, Amsteel-Blue, dynaglide, spectra, forgive me if i have forgotten any. splicing works for eyes, and specialized adjustment splices, if a specialized technique, called a locked brummel, is used. key words throughout all of my knowledge of how to properly utilized dyneema requires specialized knowledges.

one could always create an endless loop string, and then if it stretches continue to twist it to shorten it up....i have zero attempts myself, im only speculating, so feel free to correct me so i know what the heck im talkin about next time if im wrong lol.