Author Topic: .54 Great Plains Rifle  (Read 24244 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: .54 Great Plains Rifle
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2017, 02:16:53 pm »
So....I'm guessing that you forgot the powder on the fourth shot ? ??? :P.  Been there!  Josh

I wish it was that!  I had primed the barrel but it wasn't igniting.  I added a little powder and it finally discharged.  My best guess is that the patch was blocking the ignition through the breech?  Once I cleared it the shooting resumed!
1’—>1’

Offline Josh B

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:03 pm »
I wouldn't think the patch would be the issue, but i suppose anything is possible.  Josh

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2017, 05:17:24 pm »

i've had some misfires using patches with bore butter or some other kind of lubricant, especially reloading when the barrel was still warm. That stuff seems to get runny and mix in with the powder.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2017, 06:09:21 pm »
I have found once the barrel is well "seasoned" .....similar to an iron skillet not much lube is needed.  When I'm target shooting, I just use saliva as a lube...... getting the barrel "seasoned" is the trick ;) :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2017, 09:16:39 am »
"Seasoning" is a hotly debated topic every now and then on the gun building boards. Modern steel lacks the pores that cast iron has so no lubricant can soak into the metal like it does on a cast iron pan.

Seasoning gun barrels is a myth that keeps on going generation after generation.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2017, 04:43:53 pm »
"Seasoning" is a hotly debated topic every now and then on the gun building boards. Modern steel lacks the pores that cast iron has so no lubricant can soak into the metal like it does on a cast iron pan.

Seasoning gun barrels is a myth that keeps on going generation after generation.

Let's just say that this myth is "well seasoned".
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2017, 08:21:14 am »
The patches I'm currently using to get started are precut and waxed.  So...what are opinions on this?  Eddie, are you saying better off to use just dry patches? 

1’—>1’

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2017, 09:13:50 am »
There are a bunch of patch lubes out there, a dry patch may stick your load part way down the bore on a fowled bore and end up being a challenge to get out.

Bore butter is OK but I never liked the stuff, it seems like petroleum based lubes gum up the bore quicker than the natural stuff.

I currently use mink oil from Track Of The Wolf for when  I hunt and may leave my gun loaded for months. Most of the time I lube with mink oil when I shoot but also like Hoppes #9 Plus bore cleaner and lube because you never have to swab between shots with it, first shot or the 20th.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2017, 09:20:16 am »
You mix Mink Oil and Hoppes together on the patch, Eric? 
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2017, 10:47:17 am »
Steve, lately I've gone to just laying the patch on my tongue while I pour the powder in. It doesn't get real wet, but enough to slide down the barrel.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2017, 06:43:17 pm »
Nope, no mixing, used separately at different times.

Offline ksnow

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2017, 08:22:03 pm »
Second what Mullet suggested, I stick the end of a strip of ticking in my mouth while I measure and pour my powder, then lay a ball on the wet end of the strip, push into the muzzle and cut off with a knife.  Works well, can shoot a long time, unless it gets to 20 or so degrees, then things start freezing.  That's when I switch to a grease lube.

Kyle