Author Topic: Possibles bag pictures  (Read 32258 times)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
Re: Possibles bag pictures
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 05:17:08 pm »
Man guy's,  those are awesome! Keep them coming. Can't wait to get started on mine!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 06:29:24 pm »
If you'll look at the christmas trade pics too.I got a dandy bag from Trevor.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline ksnow

« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2017, 01:57:00 pm »
Here are three that I have made.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2017, 06:29:48 pm »
Sweeeeet looking bags bud.Powder horn too.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline chamookman

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2017, 04:07:32 am »
Nice work ksnow ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 11:07:08 pm »
Those are sweet, snow! Nice work!

Patrick

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2017, 01:52:45 pm »
Last fall I finished a buffalo powderhorn and suddenly was overcome with an urge to put a really fancypants strap on it.  I went through all the options I had at home and there was absolutely nothing for materials that tripped my sear. So I got on the phone to a buddy, Julup, to ask what he might have in his heap of trade goods.  He sent me a photo of some very thin embroidered ribbon in a gorgeous red, black, and white pattern.  He said it was far too thin to be used by itself but it could be sewn to thin leather.  We made the deal and spent several days pacing until it arrived.  Once it was in my hands, I knew what leather backing I wanted.  Several years back, someone sent me a partially braintanned deer hide, and I apologize for forgetting who that was.  I cut two strips and carefully sewed them together to make a longer strap. 

I have now spent 8 hours on stitching the edges together and I am about halfway there!  I am getting 16 stitches to the inch by using the pattern on the edge of the fabric ribbon.  There is a small interrupted black line that I am using to guide the stitch spacing.  Since I am using black thread, it disappears into the pattern on the ribbon side, but shows against the tawny brown of the leather to create a pretty pattern. 

Why am I going to such lengths?  What the heck was I thinking?  If I was paying myself minimum wage for this job, I could have gone to someone that specializes in card weaving or small loom weaving and had a fantastic custom wool yarn strap woven for less that I will have into this for labor, not even including materials!

« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:08:38 pm by JW_Halverson »
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #37 on: January 07, 2017, 05:49:59 pm »
Man that is cool JW!
A couple of years ago I made a leather purse for my wife for her birthday.  I figured up that I had 18 hours in the double loop stitch around the edges.  That was the first one I ever done and probably the last.  I done half one weekend and half the next.  I couldn't hardly use my finger tips during the week.

Patrick

Online Outbackbob48

« Reply #38 on: January 07, 2017, 08:07:50 pm »
JW, fantastic looking strap and what a good idea with the braintan backing, When I have one of my dummy moments that are super labor intense I always end up at the end of the day  thinking  you can' t buy stuff like this anywhere and everyone is unique, no two are the same just like snowflakes. I like it and gave me some ideas ,  Oh we got some perfect sewing weather going on 0 degrees this morning and a nice fresh breeze, I'm sure you know the kind I'm talking about. Bob

Offline chamookman

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2017, 03:54:58 am »
Way cool JDub ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2017, 03:16:11 pm »
JW, fantastic looking strap and what a good idea with the braintan backing, When I have one of my dummy moments that are super labor intense I always end up at the end of the day  thinking  you can' t buy stuff like this anywhere and everyone is unique, no two are the same just like snowflakes. I like it and gave me some ideas ,  Oh we got some perfect sewing weather going on 0 degrees this morning and a nice fresh breeze, I'm sure you know the kind I'm talking about. Bob

Picture a fork with a double edged dagger blade for a handle and all the tines bent and twisted in every direction.  Just because you are unique doesn't mean you are useful!  LOL!

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Rickd

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 09:01:33 am »
Mine way back in the day...

Offline lebhuntfish

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:43 pm »
Man that is sharp! I love the finish in that powder horn.

Patrick

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 08:07:25 pm »
That's a nice kit, Rick.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2020, 10:13:40 pm »
I just had to bring this back up. Anyone else have bags to post.   :-M   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC