Author Topic: Possibles bag pictures  (Read 32105 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: Possibles bag pictures
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2020, 07:57:02 am »
A dying friend gave me all his BP stuff, included were three possible bags complete with horns.

I have them loaded for a particular rifle or fowler and grab the that fits my weapon when I head to the woods.

The one in the picture is for  my .44. No matter how I treat the leather it always forms the white mold on the outside over time, it has same mold on the flint wallet inside the bag.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 10:27:48 am »
That's a very nice set, Eric.
Could the white be residue from the treatment that was used on the bag? I've seen treatments with bees wax and paraffin leave similar residues. Have you tried saddle soap to eliminate or reduce it?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gifford

« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 01:48:45 pm »
Eric, one of my shootin' bags has a similar problem. I didn't make it so I don't know how the leather was treated.

Pat, I'll give it a try.

I appreciate you pulling this thread back up, there are some awesome bags shown on this thread. My compliments to all those who crafted these superb bags.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2020, 07:44:33 am »
I have saddle soaped it and used leather cleaner. It will stay clear for a while then the white will show up again.

I have some Montana Pitch Blend boot dressing I will try next.

The flint wallet turns the quickest.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2020, 08:30:49 am »
I use Montana Pitch Blend and haven't noticed it on my leather work.
Have you wiped with a mild chlorox solution? If it is mold that might kill the fungi.
Will you show more pics of your flint envelope?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2020, 03:18:52 pm »
I haven't looked in that bag in a while and forgot what all I had in the flint wallet. The friend who gave me his stuff put the accessories in it. The is a knapping hammer .top jaw turn screw, a brass turn screw, extra leather to hold the flint in the jaws, ball puller, ramrod puller and a bore brush. I guess I took all the flints out of it but it has pockets for a half dozen or so.

I gave the wallet a good cleaning with a nut oil based based leather cleaner after I took the pictures. I will see how long that keeps the white stuff at bay.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2020, 03:58:03 pm »
That's cool. Thanks

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2020, 09:28:44 am »
Christmas 1978, the year Marcia and I got married(in March) she gave me a TC .50 cal Hawkins rifle(percussion). I killed my first 2 deer with it the next season, an 8pt buck and a doe. This is the possibles bag I made. It's small compared to all the others I've seen but it carried all I needed to hunt with this gun. I carried pre-waxed 370gr maxi balls(yellow box), a can of percussion caps, 4 glass viles with 70gr to 90gr of black powder and a small bottle of pre-soaked solvent patches. You can see from the condition of the leather I haven't used it for years, haven't shot the gun in years. Anyway, here are a few pics...

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2020, 06:53:58 pm »
Pure functionality Pat! I love the back story!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2020, 02:50:01 pm »
I made one for pearls awhile back but for some reason it’s not letting me post the picture.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mike Yancey

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2020, 07:07:58 am »

I made this one years ago.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2020, 12:39:58 pm »
Very nice Mike! You can tell it's been well used. Nothing like making a good quality leather garmet, it will last years and years!

Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2020, 06:45:40 pm »
I just finished this brain tanned bag to day for my smoothbore. I needed a little larger bag.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2020, 07:54:33 pm »
That's a nice traditional bag, Eddie.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2020, 08:06:09 pm »
Thanks, Pat.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?