Author Topic: 2nd run at a board bow  (Read 5893 times)

Offline Double Acre

2nd run at a board bow
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:17:36 pm »
Good evening all!

Relatively new lurker, recently registered for posting.  Figure i'd start out with a quick thanks to the admins for the approval along with thanks to the members who post some amazing info!

I decided to try my hand at a 2nd board bow and recently picked up a 1x3" red oak board from the local big box store.   My first attempt wasn't a "failure" (yet), as it was just not completed entirely.  Things got a little hectic around the house and work and the bow in progress was put on a shelf in the garage, where it has been for over a year now.  Not sure if there is a "shelf life" when it comes to working the wood, but i'll probably pull it in the house and give it a good look over.. hopefully I can finish it.

With the new board, I am looking to make something hunting capable, around 50-55ish lbs at 28" draw.  I have gone over a few of the build alongs, and I believe a pyramid is the direction I am heading again (first one is a pyramid too). The two build alongs I have read have different overall ttt and ntn lengths.. one being 66 ttt and the other 68 ttt.   Would the longer length be a little easier on the bow?

I also have some pictures of the board and the grain if anyone is interested in seeing them.

Thanks!

DA

Offline MulchMaker

Re: 2nd run at a board bow
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:35:55 pm »
Welcome to the P.A. I wish you luck on your bow man! I'm new here too. great place to learn and share though right?

Offline bubby

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 10:11:06 pm »
Welcome, go ahead and go 68"ttt
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 10:56:49 pm »
Sure, post some photos of the grain.  You are going to get all the advice you can eat, and then some.  You would be hard pressed to find a bunch of people more happy to see you succeed, so we will get fully behind you. 

On the other hand, we can throw some good hearted ribbing around, too.  Don't let us get too far under your skin before you throw it back at us!  Deal?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Double Acre

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 08:55:54 pm »
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Got the new board trimmed down to 68" - hoping to have a little time after work this week to start laying it out!

Here are some pictures of the newest 1x3 red oak board that I selected.  I didn't realize how difficult it would be to try and capture the grain with my phone camera, but here are the best of them

Initially I was looking at a board that had really thick late wood rings, but I wasn't sure the grain structure on the back and belly of the bow would hold up to the flex.  didn't want to have it snap and give me a good whack!  Here are a couple pics of that board.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 09:24:30 pm »
No experience w/ board bows, but welcome!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline ksnow

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 09:49:33 pm »
The first board looks like it has a bow in it. I have made several red oak bows from boards just like that.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 04:24:09 am »
Let the fun begin!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 08:50:18 am »
You can also make a bend in the handle bow. Rip the board to 1 3/8" for 45# if you tiller well.
Much easier for a beginner.
Buildalong on my site.
Gotta go.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 01:42:19 pm »
Definitely go to George's website.  After years and years of fine tuning, editing, and careful consideration, it has become all you really need for the basics of a board bow build.  Hundreds of people have come in here, been sent to that site, and nailed it on their first try!  It really is the 101 class.  You pass that class and you are well on your way to learning all the other facts, figures, philosophies, fallacies, and B.S.

That second board looks the best.  I say put it in the corner and let it marinate in good vibes and loving feelings.  Now take the other one, which still looks pretty dang good, and go to work.  My philosophy is to start working on "good enough" wood because you ain't out much if/when you fail (and learn), then switch to good wood and learn how to really perfect your craft. Finally, switch to nasty, crappy, fugly wood to show off and make everyone understand you are the BOSS!

My reasoning is this:  1) you are learning the most basic stuff, including how the tools and the material work. These are the RULES!  2) then you are learning WHY the rules are the rules and how the science behind it works.  3) time to break the rules, and you cannot break the rules successfully until you know how to cheat them at their own game.  It's the philosophy of Apprentice, Journeyman, and finally, Master.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 04:32:58 pm »
Welcome to PA double acre, I haven't done a board bow but I think JW just nailed it. Only thing I might add I keep your eyes and ears open for bow wood. Harvest it whenever the opportunity arises. It's truly amazing how much a person can go through once you get hooked on this addiction
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Double Acre

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 06:24:55 pm »
You can also make a bend in the handle bow. Rip the board to 1 3/8" for 45# if you tiller well.
Much easier for a beginner.
Buildalong on my site.
Gotta go.
http://traditionalarchery101.com/
Jawge

Thank you! I already have your site bookmarked! Will be going through it soon after I post this.

Welcome to PA double acre, I haven't done a board bow but I think JW just nailed it. Only thing I might add I keep your eyes and ears open for bow wood. Harvest it whenever the opportunity arises. It's truly amazing how much a person can go through once you get hooked on this addiction
Bjrogg

Thanks Bjrogg! I live out in the country and have been trying to learn to identify some of these trees in the winter.  On my property I have an abundance of red/white oak, some ash (I think), maple, poplar and hickory.  i've been eyeballing a couple hickory trees that are about 4-5" in diameter (they are really straight saplings that started growing from the base of a nice big hickory), but I have been hesitant to cut them because i was reading that too small of a diameter has a high crown?? Really wish I had access to hop horn beam or locust.. (I might)  -  I live in northern Maryland, so if anyone is up this way, maybe we can chat about local tree ID.

If I did cut any bow wood now, it would simple be to get it seasoning while I learn the basics on these boards :)

Thanks again everyone! really appreciate the replies!

DA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2017, 08:22:29 am »
Thanks for the kind words, JW.
You are welcome, Double Acre.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Double Acre

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2017, 08:37:13 pm »
Update on the bow endeavor:

I decided to use a 1.5" wide red oak board I have and followed along with Jawges guide. 68" ttt, 1.5 wide, 3/4" down to 3/8" limb taper. Got the stick layed out and mostly shaped.  The trouble I am running into now, is that one limb has a slight bow, bowing away from the belly (not sure what this is called), while the other limb is nearly straight from the center mark.

Before I start a long string tiller, I wanted to know if I should attempt to bend the straight limb to match the bowed one, or if I should straighten the bowed one?  If so, would heat bending or steam be better?

I tried to get pictures of the bend, but I couldn't get them to turn out.  Here are a couple of the layout

Offline dirthas

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 09:14:05 pm »
Welcome to the forums Double Acre!

If your board is bending away from the belly, that's called reflex. Bending towards the belly is deflex.

Personally if the reflex in one limb is so slight that it's hard to even get a picture of it, I would just leave it. Bending the other one to match it probably opens up more room for error than letting it work itself out during tiller. It will develop some string follow anyway, and might even out like that.

Looking forward to seeing this bow shape up!