Author Topic: Community turkey hunt in the morning-- Photo added, 5-7-17  (Read 7932 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

I call those days the"dreaded Bozo days" and have had many in my past but none quite as colorful as yours.

Thanks for the great story!

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
JW, I have turkey legs in the pressure cooker right now.  I will post my story in a new thread when I get time. 

Offline JW_Halverson

Here are the four calls I carried that fateful morning.  From left to right, the boxcall from buffalogobbler (made from a 300 yr old American chestnut), then the Black Hills granite slate with the ponderosa pine knothole for the pot made by tattoo dave, the segmented cane suction call that I STILL cannot remember who made for me, but DANG it calls sweet, and then the slate and cedar pot call made by tattoo dave.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Community turkey hunt in the morning-- Photo added, 5-7-17
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2017, 09:41:23 pm »
That's a great pic John!

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Swampman

• Primitive Archer subscription number PM109299
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2017, 10:23:00 pm »
That picture would look awfully good in the pages of PA magazine.  Just saying....

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #50 on: May 09, 2017, 06:43:54 am »
That picture would look awfully good in the pages of PA magazine.  Just saying....
I agree JW, great story, great hunt. Told you there was a lot of good mojo there. Guess it all runs out when the hunt is over though.lol.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #51 on: May 09, 2017, 09:03:16 am »
Just catchin' up after five days at the Classic, as Holeinthebowchuck and I pulled into Pappy's place last Wed. morning, there was a long bearded tom in the field across the road and I wondered how JW was progressing with his black hills hunt
I'm happy to read that it was a success  :-M :G
Congrats John!
 just a suggestion, you should also make wingbone calls from the wings, they are very easy to make, and a great way to remember the hunt, you can write all of the important hunt info. on the call.
As for the rest of the story, I can sympathize with you a little bit, having been caught behind a forest service gate myself in the past. Lucky for me though, it was a chain across the road and we figured that if we took the canoe off of the top of the car we might just have enough room to get under it, so with me holding the chain as high as I could force it my girlfriend at the time scraped the car underneath and we were free!
 No home town greasy spoon for us at the time, we headed for Micky Dee's.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #52 on: May 09, 2017, 08:03:32 pm »
Nice lookin' bird you got there. Congrats!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb