Author Topic: What's up NY!?  (Read 11078 times)

Offline ajooter

Re: What's up NY!?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 09:54:57 pm »
State parks might be a good option for us as well.

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 11:02:17 pm »
Utica area would work for me too. Got family in Rome .... well my wife's family that is, so that could make scheduling a lot easier for me lol.

Offline johnfolchetti

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 09:12:19 am »
I'm in. Got a place in Otsego county east of Cooperstown that'd support us for a weekend gathering.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 11:25:54 am »
I hope you guys can keep at it and put it all together. I've only been to one gathering as I've only been at this for just over a year but it's won't be my last. It's worth the drive and was very family friendly too. As Clint said great way to meet people and learn things and trade stuff. If you guys can make it happen and a annual event I'm sure it'll grow. Good Luck make it happen 😊
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Zuma

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 12:48:36 pm »
I am not sure if you guys are familiar with the Letchworth or Bald Eagle knapins?
There are alot of members here that attend these events that do more than knap.
I have been to Bald Eagle near State College PA but not to Letchworth NY.
Steve Nissley- Caveman and Glenn Smith- Huntswithstone are two members that
are active at both events. Outback Bob might be of some help also.
good luck Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 08:59:59 pm »
I could mention this to my bow club,,,,we have 150 acres 3D and field courses they have events that camp there,,,our club is mostly trad,,,,,its in the Geneva area,,,,I'm just sayin ,,,,,Jeff W

Offline ajooter

« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 09:25:39 pm »
It sounds like we have a lot of options for both a big get together and some more casual get togethers with maybe just a couple guys.  This hobby is definitely one that promotes the sharing of knowledge and experience and that is one of the many reasons  I really enjoy it.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 11:15:16 pm »
Glad to see John replied to this thread in the affirmative.  He is the guy I offered up earlier.  Let's do this.  Kinda excited. I got 4 kids and don't get out much.  Russ

Offline barebo

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 06:33:48 am »
Very Cool idea - selfbows represented!!!

I'm dead center NY state. Oneida Castle - between Utica and Syracuse. In Oriskany Falls, there is a Fabulous 3D course that has Sunday shoots - 40 targets in fine shape through all types of terrain - beautiful country, and great folks there.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 11:17:07 am »
I just noticed this thread, I never realized there were so many in the NY area into primitive bow making, it sounds like I'm at the far end of the state from most of you. I'm in western NY, just south of Buffalo.

Here is another suggestion to consider,
 Every year in April Hawkeye Bowmen archery club in Marilla NY holds the "Spring Thaw" primitive archery shoot, this year it is tentatively scheduled for Apr.21,22 and 23. It's a $20.00 weekend,free camping, selfbows only, unlimited shooting, approximately 20 targets, many contests, woods walk, clout shoot, one log fire contest, cooking contest, Saturday camp feast, primitive,1800s camps and clothing suggested but not required, the only real requirement is a self bow, any kind of arrows are fine except if you want to participate in the competitions you have to have self knock wood arrows for the competitions, the only exception to this is the clout shoot.
We have a shelter for those into bowmaking, we did a lot more bowmaking in years past, and I know that Dave and Chuck would like to see the bowmaking revived, you will need to bring your own tools.If there is interest from the group in meeting at Hawkeye we could set up a tillering tree with scale and maybe a vise. For those who would like to learn from experienced bowyers holeinthebowchuck is always there and so is Iron Leg Dave Reed, both are master bowyers.
$20.00 covers all of your costs, we usually have 40-60 people at this shoot, so we have plenty of room to camp.
Jeff has been to our club, he usually comes to our big traditional shoot in August, I don't think he has seen our club when there is room to set your camp anywhere you want.
Outback Bob is usually there also, he attends many of our shoots.
For those out of state, we have people come to this shoot from as far away as Michigan and Canada.
Our club would be a great place to gather and it could easily become a yearly gathering place.
I know it's a bit far for the Albany guy's but perhaps some of you could meet up and ride together.

When the dates are finalized(sometime in the next few days) Brians or I will post details for the shoot under Shoots and events.

Kevin
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:56:42 am by Buffalogobbler »
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 09:02:03 pm »
I just noticed this thread, I never realized there were so many in the NY area into primitive bow making, it sounds like I'm at the far end of the state from most of you. I'm in western NY, just south of Buffalo.

Here is another suggestion to consider,
 Every year in April Hawkeye Bowmen archery club in Marilla NY holds the "Spring Thaw" primitive archery shoot, this year it is tentatively scheduled for Apr.21,22 and 23. It's a $20.00 weekend,free camping, selfbows only, unlimited shooting, approximately 20 targets, many contests, woods walk, clout shoot, one log fire contest, cooking contest, Saturday camp feast, primitive,1800s camps and clothing suggested but not required, the only real requirement is a self bow, any kind of arrows are fine except if you want to participate in the competitions you have to have self knock wood arrows for the competitions, the only exception to this is the clout shoot.

We have a shelter for those into bowmaking, we did a lot more bowmaking in years past, and I know that Dave and Chuck would like to see the bowmaking revived, you will need to bring your own tools.If there is interest from the group in meeting at Hawkeye we could set up a tillering tree with scale and maybe a vise. For those who would like to learn from experienced bowyers holeinthebowchuck is always there and so is Iron Leg Dave Reed, both are master bowyers.
$20.00 covers all of your costs, we usually have 40-60 people at this shoot, so we have plenty of room to camp.
Jeff has been to our club, he usually comes to our big traditional shoot in August, I don't think he has seen our club when there is room to set your camp anywhere you want.
Outback Bob is usually there also, he attends many of our shoots.
For those out of state, we have people come to this shoot from as far away as Michigan and Canada.
Our club would be a great place to gather and it could easily become a yearly gathering place.
I know it's a bit far for the Albany guy's but perhaps some of you could meet up and ride together.

When the dates are finalized(sometime in the next few days) Brians or I will post details for the shoot under Shoots and events.

Kevin

Definitely post those details. I'm on the eastern side of Rochester, so it wouldn't be too far for me at all!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 09:49:50 pm »
Hawkeye trad shoot is my favorite  shoot of them all! I love this shoot you have to make this one ! If you camp it's even better! The food is great we pack very little food  hope to see new shooters this year JeffW

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 10:17:29 pm »
Our April primitive shoot is very small, you have to provide your own food, the kitchen is not open.
I think we have more fun at the primitive shoot than at the August Traditional Shoot.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline BrianS

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2017, 09:36:48 am »
The Hawkeye August Traditional Shoot is a big Shoot with all of the things that go with a large event.
The Hawkeye Spring Thaw Self Bow Shoot is a very small Shoot that we have been doing for over 10 years. Most years we get around 50 shooters and about 20 or so camp out. We put out about 20 targets. There are no electric hookups or showers turned on for this one. The Clubhouse is heated and has flush toilets and city water. There is plenty of room to set up a tent. The weather can be anything from sunny in the 60s to snow in the 20s. I am not trying to discourage anyone from attending, I just want anyone who may attend to know what the shoot is and not be surprised. We have purposely kept this shoot smaller and not tried to grow it into a very large event. Many of the folks have attended for years. We normally run a few contests every year. In the past some of the contests have involved primitive fire making, hawk and knife throwing, archery skills and other "woods" skills. Everyone has a real good time and the event is very laid back! It normally starts at noon on Friday and ends at noon on Sunday. We still need to finalize all of the details and will post them as soon as we figure everything out.

Offline jeffhalfrack

« Reply #29 on: January 07, 2017, 09:42:21 pm »
 Sorry I was thinking about the summer shoot ::) Jeffw