Author Topic: What's up NY!?  (Read 11075 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: What's up NY!?
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2017, 02:43:40 am »
I'm just south of the border in PA, Erie to be exact. I'd be down with a trip northward at some point. It's always nice to confirm that these forum users are actual real people and not bots, or worse yet figments of my imagination.  ;D 

Not to mention you guys have better chert up there. ...and better poker rooms too.  8)

Just make sure you post the date and location if you do have a meet.

For anyone interested, next month there is a local "semi-primitive"(no sights, no wheels - single string)  3D shoot down here in NW PA. It shares it's name with another club's winter event, "the snow shoe shoot". This one is put on by the Mercer Co. bow benders. It's definitely a good time. My first year we needed the snow shoes. It was 20 below with a good 3 feet. Last year was more tolerable and most got by in boots. There are a few guys that wear the snow shoes regardless of accumulation, and just consider it part of the event. I however am clumsy enough without the addition of unnecessary snow shoes. I'll post an exact date when I hear from the organizers. FYI - There is no official score kept at this event. 
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 09:55:07 am »
Still waiting on one or two people to confirm their availability before we set a firm date for our "Spring Thaw" primitive shoot, It will be mid to late April though.

Kevin
Beer is living proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-Ben Franklin

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2017, 05:36:37 pm »
The dates for the Hawkeye Bowmen "Spring Thaw' Primitive Shoot has been set for April 21,22 and 23, there will be a post announcing all of the details under "Shoots and Events" in the near future.

Brians and I would like to extend an invitation to all who wish to attend,

we would also like to invite all of those who responded to this post to consider meeting at Hawkeye during our Spring Thaw shoot, if the group agrees we will have a bow making area set up.

Kevin

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2017, 11:55:14 am »
I'm in Ithaca. Haven't been working on bows much. Transitioning to knives. I may be interested in a meet with everyone. I would have to throw a bow together by then and figure out my arrows. I don't even know what I have anymore. I know I don't have a trad bow anymore. Got a bunch of Osage. Maybe I'll have to get to work
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline MulchMaker

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 10:44:23 pm »
Ithaca isn't to far from me, I'm about 45 min away from "the shops at Ithaca mall" or pyramidmall as we "seasoned" people call it.

Offline Linc

« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2017, 08:33:24 am »
I am new to this site. I just recently got back into making bows after a 9 year hiatus. Made 4 over the last month. Not my greatest work but it felt good to be back at it again. I live in Martville. 50 miles east of Rochester on RT. 104.

Offline Buffalogobbler

« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2017, 09:06:20 am »
Welcome to the site Linc!
Glad to have you here, lots of great bowyers here for you to learn from.
I live in N.Java southeast of Buffalo.

Kevin

Offline Linc

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2017, 02:34:39 pm »
Thanks for the welcome Kevin. I have been lurking on this site for about a month as well as tradgang. I have made quite a few bows in the past and forgot most of what I knew. (Oldtimers disease. LOL) I picked up the first three volumes of the Traditional Bowyers Bibles to refresh my memory.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2017, 08:01:39 pm »
Howdy Linc, great to have you aboard. I'm in Webster, about 15 miles east of Rochester, so that makes us practically neighbors! Nice country out there.

Other New Yorkers, I'm still in on a summer get together, so keep me in mind!
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Linc

« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:00 am »
Howdy neighbor. yes it is nice country up here.