Author Topic: Pitch glue  (Read 3378 times)

Offline penderbender

• island life...
Pitch glue
« on: January 04, 2017, 12:46:11 pm »
Has anyone used Doug fir pitch for making glue. We have no pine here, but I have lots of fir pitch.just wondering what the difference will be. Thanks- Brendan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Pitch glue
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 01:15:24 pm »
fir pitch should work just fine.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2017, 02:58:07 pm »
yes this is all I use as we do not have pine here, and it works good. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2017, 03:49:59 pm »
Thanks guys I thought it would be fine. Ed mind me asking what your recipe is? Thanks- brendan

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2017, 05:26:11 pm »
Thanks guys I thought it would be fine. Ed mind me asking what your recipe is? Thanks- brendan

No I do not mind. I don't have measurements or a recipe per-say. But I mix fir pitch with charcoal and bees wax. I like to be able to push my finger nail in it without too much effort, but still be hard. Ed   
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline penderbender

• island life...
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 08:33:01 pm »
Thanks Ed! I have never made any but I have all the stuff. I'll give it a whirl. Cheers- Brendan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 12:23:42 am »
I do the same as Ed. Again I like hard, brittle pitch for glue and varnish because they are hard at room temp were as soft, sticky pitch is sticky at room temp. The bees wax makes that hard pitch pliable without being sticky. The charcoal adds body to the glue. Once heated it softens and will stick well to stone, bone and wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 04:32:52 am »
I do about the same as Ed and Pat, once I get it about like I think is good I will drip a little on a sheet of paper and let it set. Then I bend the paper, if it cracks [ to brittle] I add more wax, if it is sticky to the touch I add more filler. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Stringman

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 10:02:54 am »
How do you make the varnish Pat?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 11:37:54 pm »
Scott, I drop chunks of pitch is a jar with denatured alcohol and let the pitch dissolve. Once it does filter it to get the impurities out and store it in a air tight jar. The batch I have now I made about 3 years ago and it is still good.
 I guess this isn't exactly varnish because it doesn't have the oil in it but a thin layer of pitch is pretty moisture resistant. It will wear off after a shot but can be redone easily.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2017, 02:28:56 am »
I have made a "varnish" for tipi poles using a canoe maker recipe, equal parts pine tar, real turpentine, and linseed oil, warm tar to be able to mix well,  it holds up well, depending on the use.  Should work on arrows as well as bone points, etc.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry