Author Topic: Howard Hill find  (Read 8579 times)

Offline Stefan

Howard Hill find
« on: January 17, 2017, 03:58:33 pm »
Hi All,

I found a howard hill bow up for sale but i am not sure if its real/a bow he signed/a bow he used. Maybe you could give me some info?

There is also a letter but nothing that links the bow to the letter. Would love to get some info. 65# is to much for me...but this bow has got my attention.

More pics are coming...

Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Stefan

Re: Howard Hill find
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 04:11:25 pm »
More pics, is it a genuine Howard Hill bow, was it made by him or for him?
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline Stefan

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:13:03 pm »
More pics...

Leonardo

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:10:44 pm »
Weather or not it was the bow HH built or shot it's a nice looking bow and the letters where nice to read. Thanks for posting this.

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 05:18:11 pm »
Can you show a close up of the back? Does the bow appear to be laminated bamboo?

I would say it's a Hill bow but whether it's the one or even one of several used in the movie would be hard to prove.

You can find pics of Hill and Flynn on the set of Robin Hood and oddly Hill can be seen drawing a bamboo backed bow with prominent nodes on the back which of course stands out to any ELB enthusiast.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=Howrd+Hill+and+Errol+Flynn&view=detailv2&&id=7E055AD052609ABB131792C994775442764D4B29&selectedIndex=5&ccid=2aLRwBEg&simid=607999299767635026&thid=OIP.Md9a2d1c01120bb0f317bd04c6be7ac2eH0&ajaxhist=0
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 05:25:58 pm by PatM »

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2017, 05:34:52 pm »
Maybe that was Robin Hood's secret ;) ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2017, 06:43:13 pm »
Cool bow and info. Nice find.
 Will you post a side view so we can see the fades and limb lams?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 07:38:47 pm »
According to Craig Ekin, author of "Howard Hill, the Man and the Legend," Hill was able to hit the arrow in the target (from close range) but the arrows refused to make that nice end-to-end split. So the studio split an arrow, placed the second arrow in the split and jerked it out with a wire while filming. In the final version that strip of film was run backward so the arrow appeared to split the first one and stick in the target.

Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Stefan

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 02:14:28 am »
Thanks for the info. I have asked for more pics which i will post. Does anyone have an idea of the value of a howard hill bow? Does the signature seems real?

Leonardo

Offline Green Mountain Man

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 01:28:02 pm »
Does the bow have a name on it?
If Howard built the bow in his shop and if its a 1944 thats the time frame of his personal shop in Cali he named all the bows he built,so besides his signature there should be a,,"nickname"
If howard used the bow 65# is the bottom of the weigh scale for him but he used alot of bows in exhibition in that weight because of back stop limitations at certain places
1944 he was making bows out of bamboo exclusively,,,is the bow all bamboo?
To ride,shoot straight and speak the truth

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2017, 03:05:09 pm »
A few years ago there was a similar bow for sale in Germany....
The seller wants a lot of money. I think it was something like 100000 €...
At that time I didn't believe that the bow was so valuable.
@Stefan
can you tell us, what the seller want for the bow?

Offline Traxx

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2017, 10:54:19 pm »
I would Suggest you contact Bob Burton of Whispering Wind arrows.He has many of Howards personal bows in his collection and has written a book on Howard and his archery equipment.If anyone can verify this bow either way,it would be Mr Burton.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 02:29:44 pm »
Thanks for all the replies. I'm still not sure whether to jump on this offer.

@ Green Mountain Man, the bow does not have any writing on its besides 'Howard Hill', It looks to me the belly doenst consist of bamboo, Seller doesn't have a lot of information on this bow
@ Andrew, he's asking towards € 1000 (a bit over 1000 usd), is that resonable?

More pics below

Leonardo

Offline Stefan

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2017, 02:36:16 pm »
Could the marks on the limbs just past the fades be from a quiver?

Leonardo

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2017, 02:41:55 pm »
Looks like bamboo to me. You can see sanded off nodes on the belly. Do you have an idea what the back is? It looks like it wraps around the fades on the side. Must be fabric of some sort.