Author Topic: Accuracy?  (Read 13360 times)

Offline chamookman

Re: Accuracy?
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2017, 04:51:05 am »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :OK ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Woodeye

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2017, 08:36:17 pm »
So regarding the original post first question- in general Yes, a given bow and arrow shot out of a shooting machine will plunk the arrow nearly into the same hole time after time as long as the variables remain relatively constant.

There are two issues at work here however. The shooting machine demonstrates REPEATABILITY. Shooting consistent groups is repeatability is is purely dependent on how well we have consistently stent form - every aspect of it. It's ALL up to the archer. The bow and arrow are stable ( no variation) from shot to shot. This would demonstrate the importance of matched arrows

The second issue is accuracy and despite popular sayings and common belief the bow itself is not accurate. The combination of archer and bow/arrow are, or are not, accurate and I would argue that the vast majority of accuracy originates in the archer

I will acknowledge the some bows "fit" us better and therefore are easier to "aim" by whatever method - instinctive, gap, string walk, intuitive.

All of this of course is "in my humble opinion" but all perfectly accurate and repeatable.

Woodeye
Waterford, Wisconsin

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2017, 08:42:43 pm »
IMHO....I think Woodeye is on to something here...;) :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2017, 10:19:53 am »
I'd have to agree as well, this idea that one bow can be more accurate than another is hogwash, if a bow was so badly made/designed that with all other variables the same it would shoot an arrow differently each time in any meaningful way then I doubt the bow would last more than ten shots before destroying itself. Any advantage one bow has over another in the accuracy department can only be in assisting the archer achieve repeatability and accuracy. Look at fancy modern bows, sights, they help the archer not the bow, stabilizers, help the archer not the bow, clickers, draw stops, fancy rests, fancy rotating grips etc etc, all help the archer, not the bow.

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 08:27:23 am »
All bows are inherently accurate. They push the arrow and that is all they do. With a properly spined arrow any bow shoots well. With improperly spined arrow no bow shoots well. I put most of the "inaccuracy" blame on the shooter with an improper arrow in a close second.
 You can learn to shoot an improperly spined arrow if you shoot it over and over again and you learn it's trajectory and flight path but by doing so you are digging the hole deeper and deeper. Learn to make arrows that are properly properly spined for your bow and your style of shooting and with a little concentration you can shoot as well as anyone else.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Woodeye

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2017, 10:31:38 am »
My main point is that bows are NOT inherently accurate at all. They are inherently repeatable and that accuracy comes from the archer.

Even with a poorly spined arrow the bow will shoot that arrow the same out of a shooting machine

Accuracy variability is rooted in the archer.
Waterford, Wisconsin

Offline loon

« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2017, 01:00:34 am »
A poorly spined arrow that hits the bow on release will waggle all over the place in a way that seems to have a lot of inherent randomness.
It'd make an interesting experiment to see how much spread certain levels of spine mismatch would cause, by the use of a shooting machine.
Someone here had accuracy problems, but apparently his form was fine and it was the arrows. Though it's likely form most of the time...

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2017, 12:36:51 pm »
I'm not sure even a shooting machine can be consistent with poorly matched arrows. They tend to be wildcards off the bow, so Lord knows where they may impact the target from shot to shot.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 08:07:54 am »
What PatB said, the archer is usually the main problem , but a bad matched arrow won't shoot the same over and over. Well matched arrow for the bow and shooting style has to be done first before you can even begin to work on form or aiming process no mater how you shoot/aim.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2017, 12:09:30 pm »
sometimes when I make some new arrows,
and I am in practice,,
well a few will hit right on ,, consistantly,,

some might go left or right consistantly,,

even though they are marked same spine and and weight,, and are reasonably straight,,

well wood sometimes only reveals itself in use,,

those ones that hit the mark most and fly down the middle,, are my main arrows,,

I put broadheads on those for hunting,,

or mark the best ones as my go to arrows,,

ok for the bad ones,, i may still shoot them,, for practice,, but I know if it shoots to the right,, its not me or the bow,, and I am not going to shoot that if I am really trying to hit something,, maybe just some up close practice on my release,, :)

Online Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2017, 12:22:00 pm »
Brad, when similar arrows shoot differently try shooting them with the cock feather in. I've found that sometimes this makes a big difference.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2017, 12:36:40 pm »
Same here, Pat. After getting a spine tester I found that spine from side to side can vary a few pounds. I think that's why turning the cock feather makes a difference with some.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2017, 03:31:29 am »
I have found the same on turning the cock feather , especially on cain but after trying that and few other things to try and fine tune them[shorten/tip weight and such] if they still don't hit where I want they don't go in my quiver. They get broken and burnt in the fire. Never seen the need to practice with an arrow that won't hit where you look, if you are doing everything right ,and to hard to try and keep up with the good ones and bad ones. I have seem folks mark arrows # 1 and so on, arrows are a lot of trouble to make for sure but if they aren't #1 they don't get to stay with me. I do enough wrong in my shooting, I have to have the confidence that my arrows /bow are right and it is all up to me. ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2017, 03:48:38 pm »
good point Pappy, I hear you,, (SH)