Author Topic: BBQ tiller check  (Read 3749 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

BBQ tiller check
« on: January 21, 2017, 04:28:01 pm »
Hey guys can you help me out on this tiller? I have two inches to work with to teach my draw length at 50#. I know that the right side limb bends more towards the tip than the left side and I plan to even them out, however I'm knew to r/doing tiller ingredients and am not sure which is bending correctly. Thanks!

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Re: BBQ tiller check
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 04:29:57 pm »
Oops the title is doused to say BBO not BBQ! Auto correct is getting me a lot lately

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 04:59:23 pm »
For now don't remove wood from the fades to about 4 inches out. The left limb is really flat midlimb and the right limb is as well just not as bad. Don't scrape away your reflex though.

Offline upstatenybowyer

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 07:34:05 pm »
I agree completely with Jon where to focus your attention. I've found that taking thickness away will change things much faster than reducing width. I'm not sure how much you've got, but osage can go pretty narrow without risk of set, so maybe you want to take some off the sides before you work the belly. Just my thoughts  :)
"Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands."

Nigerian Proverb

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 10:43:01 pm »
ok so here is after a few more scraping sessions and exercising. I see the limbs on the left still needs to work more in the outer portion but to me the right limb looks some better. What do you guys think?

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 10:45:50 pm »
The bow is angled on the tillering fixture, the right limb is further from the wall, and I think it's making it look a little funny

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 11:15:04 pm »
Draw it by hand too. You're not going to be shooting it from where it's being held and pulled.

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 12:59:19 am »
Yes get a pic drawing it in the hand....dang agreeing with pat again, 😆
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 09:38:43 am »
Try this.  Hard to get that exactly right in Paint, but the left limb is definitely flatter at that arrow, and several inches inward toward the handle.  The first 1/3 of each limb is bending plenty, and you are about to lose your reflex in the outer 1/3 of each limb.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2017, 09:42:01 am by Springbuck »

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 02:56:02 pm »
I guess I don't understand where to take wood off then.  If the inner 3rd is bending plenty and the outer 3rd is bending to the point where I'm going to lose reflex. I guess the middle 3rd? I don't think the tips are bending at all and where the arrow is pointing is right in the middle of the reflex.

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2017, 03:39:55 pm »
well I reached full draw and I'm a few pounds under weight. Removed some from the middle of each limb. I'm already a few pounds under weight

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2017, 03:48:42 pm »
This style is really hard for me to tiller. Hope I didn't mess it up too bad

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2017, 06:11:46 pm »
 I don't think you are going to get much more out of the wood left without losing your R/D bend. You might gain some, just a little by reducing the grip thickness to where you feel it just starting to bend at full draw.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2017, 06:18:32 pm »
I think it looks pretty good.....
How long is it and what is your draw lenght? 
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Lee Lobbestael

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2017, 06:20:54 pm »
My draw is 28" and it's 67" ntn. Yeah for better or worse is tiller ed. Don't want to lose more draw weight. Still its holding an inch and a half of reflex right after exercising