Author Topic: Bow handle  (Read 2195 times)

Offline feathersnwood

Bow handle
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:21:15 am »
Hey guys I've got a bendy handle bow I would like to shorten it a bit and glue a handle on it to make it a stiff handle .
It's Osage and 68" ntn  would like to go down to 64"I'm very new to this is it hard to do this ? Going to use either another piece of Osage or I have some African mahogany or something in that line can't remember the name for sure thanks in advance ! I have very few power tools will be mostly done by hand .
lets get back to the basics

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Bow handle
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 10:34:02 am »
No, not really. If its already bending and you simply glue a handle on, it will pop off sooner than later. Use stacked up 1/4" thick cork rather. It will flex with the bow yet still give a full handle feel in your hand.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 10:34:14 am »
If your handle is already bending and you glue on a handle, it will most likely pop off. If you shorten, you will have even more bend in the handle. You may want to just shorten it, then build up a handle with cork or leather. Maybe some other guys have some ideas for stiffening up a handle area.

Eric
Eric

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 11:28:53 am »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What they said!
Steve Bennett

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 12:02:43 pm »
Like was said, an alternative to cork is leather or rawhide both will flex, leathe looks somewhat like wood grain when sanded and sealed
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 12:13:05 pm »
Here is a leather stack handle, had an uneven area and went way up in the fades is why the leather is longer on one side

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 02:14:54 pm »
That's pretty cool Bubby I like it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline willie

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 02:22:23 pm »
you could add something like flax to the back side of the handle to help with stiffening

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 03:11:56 pm »
Yep, Bub. I'd have guessed that was some sorta wood riser on there. Pretty!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 06:11:16 pm »
Ok what size of leather should I use I have all different thickness and just layer it till you get your thickness you want and then shorten and re tiller is that the order ?  That bow looks really cool if I could get it to look anything close to that I will be happy!! Thanks for all the advise

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 07:47:27 pm »
I don't think the thickness of leather is all that critical. Just make it as thick as you feel comfortable with whatever leather you have.
Retiller first, then put on grip so you can monitor the bend in the handle easier.

Eric
Eric

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:32:50 pm »
It is just tooling leather, any thickness you want, i glue it on and rough shape it with my 1×30 belt sander and then soak it in superglue. Then sand to shape, you should be able to get any shape handle you want

Offline feathersnwood

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2017, 01:44:19 pm »
Thanks all !!! If I can ever figure out pictures I'll post some when I get finished with it .

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2017, 03:53:03 pm »
I get pre-cut leather shoe soles(about 3/8" thick) and stack a few of them. Once shaped I saturate with super glue, sand smooth re-saturate again and sand until smooth. You can do the same for tip overlays. I've done it many times.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC